Am I doing somthing wrong?

Options
2012asv
2012asv Posts: 702 Member
For the second week straight my weight hasnt budged, which is "ok" if other things were happening right? That being said, in the past 3 weeks I've lost 1'' off my waist and .5'' from my hips. That doesnt seem like a lot in almost a month. I have completed 3 successful weeks of "eating more". So atleast I'm not gaining weight.

I just cant help but wonder if I'm doing somthing wrong. I do about 30 mins of cardio at least 4-5 times a week. I do stregnth training with weights (that feel heavy for me). I am trying my hardest to reach my protien, carb and fat goals daily, and I try to drink lots of water. This past week has been an exception to my exercising due to a back problem, but in general I've been very consistant.

Any tips or advice???

Thank you:embarassed:

PS: Pls excuse typos.

Replies

• ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm not much good for the advice, but I would say if the inches are coming off you are making positive progress, certainly not doing anything "wrong"! a loss, regardless of the size, is good right?
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It only looks like I'm losing weight because I'm bouncing up and down the same exact 1-1.5 lbs. What you don't see on my timeline is, "Nick gained 2 lbs.!" which has happened this last week. With all the jumping around, I'm pretty much the same weight with some minor leaning up in my frame.

I hinted at it the other day in my status but I'm not leaning up as fast as I like, somewhat like yourself. That's not to say that it isn't happening. It's just likely that my TDEE is too high and my deficit isn't as large as I think it is.

When I calculated my TDEE I had two numbers, one was 2800 and the other was about 2600. I picked 2800 and set my goal as 2300. This would have put me on track to lose a pound a week. After the last month, I don't think I've lost more than a pound. I'm not too worried about my weight because it isn't telling me whether I'm actually leaning up but the fact that it's not dipping certainly reassures me that it's not a very heavy deficit.

I like the direction I'm going in, I can certainly see the improvements but the progress is glacial. I'm dropping down to my second calculated TDEE , 2600 calories (which also brings me very close to the number MFP guessed for me). This lowers my daily intake by 200 calories which leaves me at 2100 calories total.

The other adjustment I made was to change my macronutrient allocations. Now it's 40/35/25 (C/P/F). Most of the 200 calories that I'm removing is coming out of my fat allocation. I'm still doing about 60g of fat a day so I'm not looking to eliminate it. I'm just trying to keep more protein in my diet to aid in muscle repair. Since I reintroduced strength training this week (the other thing I'm doing to shake things up), I don't think it would be good for me to cut into my protein allocation.

So, that was my self analysis and the plan of action I put in place to speed up how quickly I'm leaning up. You seem to have run your self analysis. What is your plan of action? :wink:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    For the second week straight my weight hasnt budged, which is "ok" if other things were happening right? That being said, in the past 3 weeks I've lost 1'' off my waist and .5'' from my hips. That doesnt seem like a lot in almost a month. I have completed 3 successful weeks of "eating more". So atleast I'm not gaining weight.

I just cant help but wonder if I'm doing somthing wrong. I do about 30 mins of cardio at least 4-5 times a week. I do stregnth training with weights (that feel heavy for me). I am trying my hardest to reach my protien, carb and fat goals daily, and I try to drink lots of water. This past week has been an exception to my exercising due to a back problem, but in general I've been very consistant.

Any tips or advice???

Thank you:embarassed:

PS: Pls excuse typos.

Wow I think you are underestimating the loss off your waist...as a woman to lose an inch off your waist is huge. Since you are not gaining I think your body is glad for the food and there is something happening..losing inches means you are gaining muscle and losing fat. I lost 4lbs the first week and steadily gained back three of the 4lbs over the following 3 wks. But there was something happening, I saw fat disappearing, I felt better more energized, I kept saying wow there must be some muscle for fat exchange going on...then I started losing .5, or so and some weeks none then a loss...until I was down 7.2lbs....now I really believe with the heavy lifting I gained some muscle and lost abunch of fat. I see the difference. 8 wks ago bam a plateau again...4wks nothing really just a little bouncing so reminiscent of the 1500 cal day and I decided not to cut cals but to up them again...why because eating less did not work for me so I bumped and shot up 4lbs..oh my did I freak for a second but then thought hmmm I didn't eat 14000 cals so I waited it out....4wks later this morning after making sure I haven't lifted in days, no Tom or high sodium..the scale went down. so my body just needed more fuel.

So said all that to say make sure when you weigh you didn't lift 2 days before, no tom, no high sodium days previously...give it another couple weeks. If you aren't trending up, me personally, I would bump up before I tried going down. I wuld have to start gaining to be sure that I am eating too many cals. I say that because I bumped 1200 to 1350 to 1500 before learning about tdee and bmr and all that...I knew that eating those amounts wasn't working so maybe I needed more...then I bumped after finding the information and gave it time even after the discouragement of regaining the immediate drop. Then plateaued eating 1800 and again just doesn't make sense to eat less cause I didn't lose at less...

So give it a little longer if you can hold out...there is a topic on upping and please read the one on plateauing too.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I guess the bottom line is...BE PATIENT. I have experimented with eating "more" and eating slightly less than my daily goal- it does nothing to my weight... So i know cutting calories isn't the answer... In fact, all of my clothes are fitting me better... even ones i never wore because they were um, "snuggly."

I haven't been very consistant with the weight training (mostly because this is still new to me and I dont know where to start sometimes) I have that notion in my head that if I lift for an hour and didnt burn many calories OR sweat profusely... that nothing is going to"happen," I havent given the weights a full chance... I am guilty of that.

I am going to buy that book tonight (new rules for lifting for women)... I KEEP seeing/hearing about it and I think it's a sign :P That's for the support guys I really appreciate it.

xo