Options
Crystal817
Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
What's going on people?!!

Replies

• SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im new! i joined a couple weeks ago, and i've had the opportunity to look through a few stories... you are all amazing.

Short version: We have been trying to have kids for a little over 6 years. We have done everything you can do to 'help' it naturally... fertility drugs, shots, etc. There have been so many ups and downs in our life over the course of a few years. When we finally got the word from the doctor that our only option to conceive naturally was through IVF, we decided to adopt. It just seemed to be a better use of our time and money.

We have been in the process now since June of 2010, and we were finally put on a waiting list March 16th.

its nerve wracking and exciting all at the same time. The hardest part for me in the process is my family. My husbands family loves it, and they are so supportive... and never make me feel 'different' for not being able to have kids. MY family... i feel like an outsider, and they make me feel guilty for not wanting to be treated in the same manor as my 7mo-preg-sister.

My husband and I are new to this adoption stuff and, to be honest, Im intimidated a little by it all. I dont know many people where i live, so finding a small network of 'adoptive parents' is a little difficult. And in the long history of both of our families, there is no adoption, relatives that have adopted, or even friends.

any words of wisdom is appreciated... I even accept slap-in-the-face criticism, if i need it. :D
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

My partner and I are proud parents to a 20 month old girl, and are continuing on our adoption journey again as we look for our second child. We found the process challenging at first...actually it can be very frustrating...but when it works out, it all melts away, and it becomes worth it.

I wouldn't say I'm militant, but I do fine myself bringing up adoption a lot to teach those around me what is going on...a lot has changed in the last 40 or so years, especially around openness and even around supply and demand. I try to avoid saying adoptive parent...but if you want to ruffle some feathers, try calling someone a biological mother...suddenly they realise that parents dint need a qualifier in front of their title!
  • Crystal817
    Options
    Where are you guys adopting from?
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We're doing the domestic route, so Canada. We're not eligible to adopt internationally due to the restrictions of most international programs prohibiting same sex families. Our daughter is a local girl, despite looking far and wide! Hoping our luck continues!
  • Crystal817
    Options
    We're doing the domestic route, so Canada. We're not eligible to adopt internationally due to the restrictions of most international programs prohibiting same sex families. Our daughter is a local girl, despite looking far and wide! Hoping our luck continues!
    I think domestic adoption is wonderful! ^_^
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We are staying domestic also (US). We couldnt financially handle the trips when doing the international. And there are so many kids/babies who need good homes here, it seems silly not to start with domestic.

ideliver: Thanks for the tip. :D It is hard to not begin every '-parent' with adoptive or birth, at least right now. I hope it will get easier. Out of curiosity, what had been the best and the hardest parts in the first 20 months after the placement?
  • Crystal817
    Options
    We are staying domestic also (US). We couldnt financially handle the trips when doing the international.

It's interesting... my parents adopted me from South Korea in '85 and they didn't have to travel there at all.