Do you do cardio as well as lift?

Options
Quel1970
Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
I just started NROLFW last Monday. Prior to that, I had been doing low cal and just cardio & pilates. I didn't do any cardio last week and I miss it.

My question is, if you do cardio, do you do it on your non-lift days or lift days? Does it matter? Do you eat back your cardio calories?

(On a side note- I feel better than ever! I upped my cals from 1200 to 1340 for 6 days then to 1460 yesterday. I have a lot more energy but I still worry that I am NOT lifting heavy enough. I do lift til near failure but it isn't a lot (10-20 lbs depending upon the exercise- any thoughts?)

Tomorrow is my measurement day- I'm nervous :)

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I count my martial arts workouts as cardio, and I try to do those 4-5 days a week. But sometimes i dont have the time to squeeze in both. And when I do a cardio workout on my strength training days, it's a shorter, lighter workout.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio on days off weights, 2-3 days/wk
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    As of now, I do cardio the same day that I do weight lifting. I usually do 30-40 mins of cardio and I mix it up by choosing the interval training or weight reduction program on an eliptical trainer. I recently started weight lifting, modifying the program set out in the Lift Like a Man book to accomodate my arthritic knees (example-- lifting off of an exercise ball with dumbells rather than a dead lift with a barbell from the floor). I am also active on non work out days,usually with cardio stuff -- 30-40 min. cycling, 45-60 min walks. Overall, my exercise program is probably less "intense" than other women here; but I feel great about what I am doing and will adjust my program as I go along. I was diagnosed with a rare cardiomyopathy so cardio -- keeping my heart muscle strong-- is essential to my overall health and well being.

I'm at 1470 calories and I eat back some of my calories on some days. My diet (diary is available) is mostly healthy, that is, I eat a bag of veggies almost every day, at least 2-3 servings of fruit daily, with the warm weather coming up I rely more on frozen dinners, but try to stick to those that are minimallly processed when possible. I eat sardines and sock eye salmon every week.

Don't be nervous about your measurements! I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Let us know.
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also do cardio on my "rest" days. I strength train 3 days a week and do cardio in between those (running or HITT). The day after I do any strength training on my legs, I stay away from cardio. Don't want to overtrain or beat up on my legs before they've had a chance to repair.
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight. I am going to add cardio to my non-lift days. Sometimes the treadmill, sometimes just something 'fun' I like to do.

I measured yesterday and weighed to. I was down .5 lbs and technically, 3 inches???? An inch from my waist, hips and upper arm. (The last time I measured was March 1 so the loss wasn't just from lifting) BUT of course I second guessed myself I figured I had measured 'wrong' or something the first time. Haha If I'm the same or have lost more inches in the following weeks, I will believe the tape!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I started doing HIIT on our treadmill just a couple of weeks ago... so, I do that 2 or 3 times a week.

And, I just got a set of kettlebells! :) so, now I have those to play with a couple of times a week!

I'm actually starting to ENJOY working out. I'm either getting healthier, or losing my mind.