It really isn't as bad as we think

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,789 Member
really. Please don't be in despair because you binged. We have this disorder. It is GOING to happen. Keep logging. Keep talking about it, and keep getting our support. I know when you are in the middle of the cycle it seems like the end of the world and how on earth could we DO THIS to ourselves??!! But, it will pass. Just don't be afraid to start over and take it one day or 1 hour or 1 MINUTE at a time.

Last week at this time, I was out of control. I ate so much on Sunday, I thought my intestines and stomach were going to burst. But then I kept logging. I talked it out with all my friends here. They supported me and emailed me and helped me to just GO ON. Bee Sunny, Enlightening, Juliette, Inbetween, Safire, KBM, MJ, Stacy Anne, Fiona, Lin and Greeky gal and all my other BB's were there posting on my profile - encouraging me - checking on me.

1 week later, I have 6 days without binging under my belt. Sure, I know I am going to binge a little at some point. It's a disease. We need to accept it and just do the best we can.

Try to picture yourself just 3 days from where you are. Tummy not bloated, No sodium or sugar crashes. YOU CAN DO IT!

thank you guys... we will get there. I know it.

2 candy bars and 4 chocolates is NOT A BINGE. Just log it and move on. Plan on eating some of your favorite foods - maybe try the spike diet and plan a day or two where you eat those things you want. EATING EVERYTHING in the house and throwing away food and not being able to MOVE because of what you ate is definitely a binge. ;) Been there. Done that.

SummerSKier...35 yrs + of binging experience and only now talking about it.. yikes.

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! i have gone a few days now and it feels great. i am trying to make it a whole week. one day at a time, we can do this... i do feel a lot stronger today and i'm hoping to get through a whole week. i even was able to eat few cookies yesterday and get right back on track! i can't believe it. you are right about the ups and downs. we will have them. but we can step away. we can log what we did, walk away and realize the day is still salvageable.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Wow, just saw this group through your post. Thank you so, so much for posting this, I really needed to hear it! I binged Friday night, but I logged it Saturday morning anyway, even though I felt so embarrassed to do so. I was afraid of what my MFP friends would think.

Then yesterday was a great day. And today is going well so far, too.

Sometimes I take it one day at a time, sometimes just one hour at a time, whatever I can handle. I have to remind myself to be gentle with myself and keep moving forward despite the setbacks. Thanks again for the reminder that I'm not alone :-)
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Summer, I love your post! I'm so happy for you and MJ, you're doing awesome!

I totally agree with you...when I have a bad day, I try to and usually do log it anyway. And it DOES pass. Sometimes I have to take it a minute at a time too...sometimes I have great days and sometimes I don't. This isn't something that goes away overnight (unfortunately) but with persistance and support we can get better!

I did go over calories yesterday but that's only because I didn't work out...it definitely wasn't a binge. I just logged it and moved on.

I think we have a great little support system here and you all have been so helpful! Talking about it is helping me too and Summer, don't worry that it's taken you so long - you're doing it! I am not an open person and posting is out of my comfort zone, which is good for me but can be difficult. I'm always afraid I'm going to sound stupid or I won't make sense but whatever. So to any "lurkers" out there, don't be afraid to post!

We're doing great, let's keep it going and have a great day!! :happy:
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great advice from a wonderful person!!!
    Love it Summer well said and thank you!

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUjvqEi13HM-gFNxUxfg1oUHt0Z2xNRd-3q0eR8xt3Edc_ZIba
  • arielaliza
    arielaliza Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am so encouraged hearing all of your postings! SOO impressed with everyone's support of eachother! I am motivated not only by your dieting advice and experience but everyones kindness as well! I am 3 days binge free so far, and even though I am a few cals over my goal I had a very balanced few days! I was thinking of you all when I was so tired and hungry today and the chocolate in the fridge was screaming my name! I rise victorious! LOL :) Keep it up everyone! :)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,789 Member
    Options
    I figure we can all continue to push and pull and support each other. I know right now I am on Day 8 of binge free but I also know that I will fall sometime and need you guys to help pick me back up. Knowing that makes me feel so much better, This is probably the first time in my life I have a REAL support group. We aren't perfect, and we all have bad days, but together I think we can help and encourage each other.

thank you all for this. It means the world!
  • sarah2005
    sarah2005 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I binged this weekend and now I made the mistake of weighing myself for my weigh in this a.m and I feel awful but have to start somewhere. I guess.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Really loved this post! It have been nine days for me and I don't ever remember going this long! I had some moments of weakness when I ate a little bit too much, but instead of throwing in the whole day I went out for a walk and stopped myself. I never had the strength before. So grateful for all of this support and encouragement, and proud of what others are accomplishing (motivation at its finest :smile: ).
  • BeeSunny
    Options
    Great advice from a wonderful person!!!
    Love it Summer well said and thank you!

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUjvqEi13HM-gFNxUxfg1oUHt0Z2xNRd-3q0eR8xt3Edc_ZIba

that was suppose to be thumbs up but did not show :sad:
  • BeeSunny
    Options
    Really loved this post! It have been nine days for me and I don't ever remember going this long! I had some moments of weakness when I ate a little bit too much, but instead of throwing in the whole day I went out for a walk and stopped myself. I never had the strength before. So grateful for all of this support and encouragement, and proud of what others are accomplishing (motivation at its finest :smile: ).

awesome girl!!!
  • BeeSunny
    Options
    I figure we can all continue to push and pull and support each other. I know right now I am on Day 8 of binge free but I also know that I will fall sometime and need you guys to help pick me back up. Knowing that makes me feel so much better, This is probably the first time in my life I have a REAL support group. We aren't perfect, and we all have bad days, but together I think we can help and encourage each other.

thank you all for this. It means the world!

BIG HUGGGGGGGGGGGG
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oooh you are sooo right!

I often find it difficult to make the distinction between an actual binge and just “I ate more than I intended”. I beat myself up equally over either but I think I need to realize that when I do eat more than I intend but I’m able to STOP before it becomes a binge, that is a small victory in itself. It’s hard to see it that way but any amount of conscious control over what’s happening is something! You guys are the best cheerleaders and so so helpful every day!

It’s also really hard to look ahead at a binge free me 3 or 4 days in the future. It’s essential to remember the big picture and the end goal though. Thanks for the great reminder Summer!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oooh you are sooo right!

I often find it difficult to make the distinction between an actual binge and just “I ate more than I intended”. I beat myself up equally over either but I think I need to realize that when I do eat more than I intend but I’m able to STOP before it becomes a binge, that is a small victory in itself. It’s hard to see it that way but any amount of conscious control over what’s happening is something! You guys are the best cheerleaders and so so helpful every day!

It’s also really hard to look ahead at a binge free me 3 or 4 days in the future. It’s essential to remember the big picture and the end goal though. Thanks for the great reminder Summer!
    :flowerforyou:

i think a true binge is feeling out of control, regardless of amount you ate. if you can reel it back in and feel like you regained control during it, maybe not a binge. it's up to you to decide because you best know your feelings. like today i was very hungry after i got home from a very active day at the zoo. but i stopped myself. i didn't go crazy. so i don't count as a binge. now if i kept eating, couldn't stop, felt bad about it, etc sure i would have said it was a binge.

today is day 4 for me. i just am hoping for a week this time. that would be great progress for me.

i know we all have our weeks/months where it seems to happen more often, but we can get back up and try harder the next time and succeed...

sure it may happen again and probably will but we can do it!!
  • jlyle73
    jlyle73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! I got through the weekend! Definately ate extra & went up in calories but it didn't get out of control, I logged everything & didn't binge! I feel good on a Monday for the first time in a while:) it's so worth it, why do I keep doing that to myself? Thank you for the sharing, support & encouragement - it really makes a big difference!