Progress Report - Eating More Works!!

Options
tangiesharp
tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
March 1, 2012 I decided to start eating.

For the prior 6 months, I followed MFP guidelines for a 2 pound weight loss per week and, as I got closer to my goal weight, changed to MFPs guidelines for losing 1 pound weight loss per week. During that time, I typically ate a net of 1000 calories per day mainly due to intense cardio – spin classes, 2-hour hikes, etc. That plan “worked” for the first 4 months and my weight loss was steady. Then I hit a dreaded plateau. It wasn’t my first plateau so I thought I could just sweat it out, but this time it wasn’t working. From January 1 to February 29, I lost 2.2 pounds. I also lost 2 inches, but I thought I should be doing better.

I started to do some research about plateaus and noticed everyone talking about BMRs and TDEEs. I figured out I was not eating enough – BMR of 1500 and TDEE of 1800. I should net roughly 1700 calories - using sedentary activity level and eating back my exercise calories - to safely lose weight. Yikes! That seemed really high to me. I typically burned 600-1000 calories a day doing lots of cardio. Eat up to 2700 calories a day?!?!

I had a few issues before I started eating more:

Weight gain? - I heard that I would temporarily gain weight as my body did a happy dance because it was finally being nourished. So I was prepared for that (sorta).

Eating clean? - Well, that’s not me. It’s not that I eat cakes and cookies, but I’ve been known to eat potato chips and some Luna bars on a weekly basis. So, how would I increase calories without increasing junk? I started drinking protein shakes after each workout, which added about 210 “good” calories to my diet. I also added calories from eating peanut butter and other nuts.

Lifting heavy weights? - I’m doing JM Ripped in 30 days, but (no offense) I do not consider that workout “lifting heavy.” I’m reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and hope to start lifting heavy in a few weeks.

I was concerned about raising my calories without lifting heavy. But, that didn’t stop me. I started eating and reduced my cardio on March 1, 2012. What happened? During the first 7 days, I gained 3 pounds. I was expecting it, but it happened over two days. I freaked out a little, but kept at it. Since 3/8, I’ve lost 5 pounds and 1.5 inches. Amazing! I haven’t quite gotten up to 1700 net calories/day, but I’m mostly over 1500 net calories (my BMR), which is great. I plan on slowly increasing my calories when/if my weight loss slows again.

How do I feel? Imagine how you’d feel after not eating for 6 months? I feel GREAT!! I wish I had learned this when I started losing weight. I think it would have minimized my plateaus and I would have felt more in control of my weight loss. I’m so happy I started eating more. Even if you’re worried about gaining weight, eating clean, or “lifting heavy,” please consider increasing your calories to at least BMR and take some time to read more about TDEE. It’s working for me and it can work for you too.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How do I feel? Imagine how you’d feel after not eating for 6 months? I feel GREAT!! I wish I had learned this when I started losing weight. I think it would have minimized my plateaus and I would have felt more in control of my weight loss. I’m so happy I started eating more. Even if you’re worried about gaining weight, eating clean, or “lifting heavy,” please consider increasing your calories to at least BMR and take some time to read more about TDEE. It’s working for me and it can work for you too.

So inspirational and SO TRUE! I'm so happy you have the energy that I now KNOW comes from fueling my body. Amazing job on your weight loss and I can't wait to see how great you're going to do with lifting heavy. Super excited for you!!!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Wow, that is amazing progress in such a short time, congrats! I'm so glad to hear this is woking for you, hopefully I'll start seeing results like that soon :smile:

I'm in my 2nd week of new rules of lifting and loving it so far. I hope you enjoy it once you get started!
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!

I have just upped my calories and for some reason, I'm having a REALLY bad day. I have worked so hard (first thru calorie restriction and cardio- now eating and lifting) and I haven't seen any progress. Yesterday I actually cried.... SO- I will keep going along for another two weeks and PRAY I have similar results.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I am not doing heavy lifting as of yet and probably won't be for quite some time. It is a money issue for me at the moment. I am unable to join a gym and I don't own anything but 8lbs weights!

I started nerdfitness.com Beginner Body Weight program and I am more out of shape then I even new! I am 180lb at 5'5...37 years old...just to give my stats.

I am netting about 1600 calories for about 2-3 weeks now and I haven't weighed since upping and am not going to until week 4 or 6. Let me tell you...I could eat more! lol
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!

I have just upped my calories and for some reason, I'm having a REALLY bad day. I have worked so hard (first thru calorie restriction and cardio- now eating and lifting) and I haven't seen any progress. Yesterday I actually cried.... SO- I will keep going along for another two weeks and PRAY I have similar results.

Hey. Please hang in there. I felt like crying when my weight went up, but I just hung in there. Please give yourself 2-3 weeks to see progress. It will be worth it.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!! Your story is very encouraging and super inspiring!!
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this....I really needed this! right on time!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! But now a little confused. So if I up my calories, do I need to lower cardio and do more lifting? I am so confused.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! But now a little confused. So if I up my calories, do I need to lower cardio and do more lifting? I am so confused.

I think (and more experienced ladies correct me if I'm wrong) that the point of lowering cardio (and notice the OP was doing a HUGE amount of cardio) is to lessen the amount of calories you need to eat back in order to NET your BMR in calories consumed.

The heavy lifting helps in (I believe) raising your TDEE b/c you will have more muscle mass (not to mention awesome curves), but notice that the OP is doing light weight training right now and has not yet started lifting heavy but is still seeing good results.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Heavy lifting shapes and defines muscles, you get that nice lean look. The look I wanted I thought came from high cardio burns but it is actually the heavy lifting that does that type of transforming.

And you have to eat back too many calories which just defeats the purpose when you just can't get it all in.