Week 5 Chat

Options
lizard053
lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
Week5.jpg

Week 5 Challenge: This week we are going for 5! Try to get your 5 vegetable and fruit servings every day, a minimum of 5 days this week.
Water: 7/7
Food: 6/7
F/V: 5/7
Exercise: Strength: 60, Cardio: 90, Stretching: 15

Don't forget to report in for week 4! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531132-report-in-week-4

Replies

• lizard053
    Options
    Hey all!

I was so beat last night. I could barely stay awake to watch The Walking Dead! Season finale, so I really didn't want to miss it. And yet, I still failed to sleep well last night. Don't know what to do about it now. I'm doing everything right, but not sleeping soundly. It is really hindering my progress!

My supply of additional foods came on Friday. I now have 6 different shake flavors instead of just the 4 the doctor carries in the office. And a whole bunch of other yummies that she never did carry. Cheesecake pudding, apple cinnamon oatmeal, among others... yum! I, unfortunately, won't be making my 5 F/V servings each day, just no space on the diet plan! I get at least 1-2 cups of veggies in at dinner, but that doesn't make up 5 servings! This week will be a weight loss week for me!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    yeah - the 5 servings will be tough for me since I use shakes for 2 meals a day... will try to focus on veg for dinner... but not to sure how I am going to fit it all in!

today I prob had 2-3 servings
  • lizard053
    Options
    Rachel - You and I are in the same boat! But that's what makes it a challenge, right?

Yesterday, I managed 2 servings of F/V. Oops. Then again, I knew I wouldn't. No kudos for me this week. LOL!
  • wurgin
    Options
    Well, Lizard, I did pretty well with my meal.... a veggie burger, 1 cup of raw brocccoli, veggie hummus. How many servings is that? 4 ?
  • lizard053
    Options
    Well done Rachel! I think that is 4 servings of veggies there!

I had a bad day with them yesterday. Only got in 1 serving all day. Oops! LOL. I do that when I eat breakfast for dinner, I tend to forget the veggies!

However, I did have an excellent day with everything else! I've noticed I'm having 16-32 more ounce of water each day, but then I'm down the 16-32 ounces of tea I had been drinking, so I guess it all evens out!
  • leigh_chapman
    leigh_chapman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wow. I got my 5 servings (mostly veggies) yesterday. It's hard! Had a breakfast bowl w/turkey sausage, onions, peppers and potatoes for breakfast.....sounds like a lot, but a good breakfast and I find I don't need to eat a monster lunch. spinach on my sandwich at lunch w/raw veggies and hummus to snack on, steamed spinach for dinner. really have to work at this challenge.
  • lizard053
    Options
    Leigh - Great going! It's what makes it a challenge, right? Sounds like you got a nice variety too, not all one color and all. Awesome!

The Kudos thread for last week is up, BTW!
  • lizard053
    Options
    I'm having an excellent weight day. Just gratification for all my hard work. And I had a breakthrough in my running as well. I can now go 2 minutes straight! I need 2 minutes to recover, but I'm really happy about it! My F&Vs on the other hand, suck. I did better yesterday, got in 4. The strawberries mid-day helped that one out. Gotta finish those up as they are starting to get soft. So today should be good too. My scale showed me a 1.5 pound loss, my doctor's scale showed 3! Running off that high today. AND I have yoga class tonight. Yay! Maybe we'll do a somewhat advanced class again today, that would be rather cool.
  • leigh_chapman
    Options
    Congrats! Go girl. Getting those veggies is really hard to fit in. Guess I always thought I was getting close to that, but it seems I wasn't. Do potatoes and beans count? I guess in moderate quantities, they are an OK thing to put in as veggies, but they're not as ideal for you as the real thing. I suppose I have to have a veggie plate tonight for dinner, b/c I'm stuck at 2 servings right now. I must have had some MSG in a dinner I had out last night b/c I had major headache, swelling of fingers/hands/toes, thirst and insomnia all night. Those are my usual indicators, but I hate that I didn't know I was getting it.
  • lizard053
    Options
    Ugh! MSG really does bring on big time bloat for most people! Sorry to hear you got dosed with it Leigh!

Beans and potatoes do count towards veggies! They are from vegetable sources, even though starchy and beans also have some protein content.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been sucking with my F/V this week. I got over strep from last week but this week I've got a cold/allergies. Plus my Dad is here so we haven't eaten so healthy:) Blech. Dad leaves tomorrow so I'll make sure to kick it into gear then!!
  • lizard053
    Options
    It looks like fruits and veggies were a challenge for everyone! LOL! Oh well! That's why they call it a challenge!

After sleeping the day away yesterday, I'm a little more on track today. Hoping to get a little more walking in before I sit on my rump all afternoon! It's game day, so that means sitting around a table with friends and a little food.
  • leigh_chapman
    Options
    I've really stopped logging my food in for some reason. My husband just returned from 3 weeks of away training, so having him home and the fact that the weather has been so much warmer, I find I just don't sit at the computer as much. Suppose that's a good thing in the end! I've been conscious of f/v all week and have tried hard to get 5, but have only managed 4 most days. I get at least 1 serving at each meal, but my snacks are usually not f/v. If potatoes and beans count, then I'm probably not doing too badly. Maybe I'll go nosh on some grapes right now.
  • wurgin
    Options
    ok i did not rock the veggies consistently at all. i hope to do better next week with our last (cumulative) challenge. on the other hand I feel really good about the other elements of the challenge - got those well in hand
  • lizard053
    Options
    Time to move to our final week of chatter! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539588-week-6-chat
This discussion has been closed.