Why I binge. How about you?

Options
barefoot76
barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
I binge for emotional reasons.

Sometimes the reason is immediate, obvious. When I'm stressed out about something that happened recently or I'm trying to avoid something that needs to be done, I turn to binging.

Sometimes the reason isn't obvious, it is something under the surface. Sometimes it is something that happened a long time ago that I'm still upset about, carrying around with me, and over time it builds up.

The taste in my mouth and the chemical reaction in my brain makes me feel better... for a few minutes. If a little made me feel good, a lot will make me feel great, right?

I binge because my mother binged. I watched her do it, and she sometimes encouraged us to do it it, too. I think it made her happy, made her feel less alone. She doesn't talk to me anymore. I binge because I hope that she will talk to me again if I am just more like her, like she wanted me to be.

I binge because a lot of people do -- in our culture, it seems kind of "normal" to me.

I binge because I'm afraid I won't be able to have what I have right now, later. I binge because I'm afraid that there will never be "enough..." that *I* will never be "enough."

I binge because I'm pretty sure this is as good as I get and I might as well give up.

I binge because I'm happy and it is a kind of celebration.

Why do you binge?

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,863 Member
    Options
    this
    *I binge because I'm pretty sure this is as good as I get and I might as well give up. *
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I think one of the worst reason I have binged and justified it is: I feel like I'm inevitably going to anyhow, so what's the point? Such a terrible mindset. Now I take it day by day. My mindset is just getting through the day without binging and it works for me.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think one of the worst reason I have binged and justified it is: I feel like I'm inevitably going to anyhow, so what's the point? Such a terrible mindset. Now I take it day by day. My mindset is just getting through the day without binging and it works for me.

This happens to me a lot too. I feel like I'm already doomed to fail so then it just ends up happening. I guess I just give up on myself. :embarassed:
    Other times I literally don't know "why" I do it . . . I try to figure it out and literally ask myself "why are you doing this right now?" and I don't know what to answer. :ohwell:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,863 Member
    Options
    Ever found yourself getting up inthe middle of the night and like a zombie heading to the kitchen?!!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ever found yourself getting up inthe middle of the night and like a zombie heading to the kitchen?!!

Yep! Late night is generally my worst time. I have figured out that I often confuse tired for hungry. And bored for hungry. And angry for hungry. I'm learning to stop-look-listen: When I think to myself, "I'm hungry" or I just plain go to the fridge on auto-pilot, I stop, look at my current situation, and listen to my true feelings which are usually very quiet underneath the booming, "FOOD!" voice. Am I really hungry? Or do I need to drink more water? Take a nap? Take a walk? Pet my dogs? It is taking a lot of practice, but I'm getting better at taking care of myself little by little.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Sometimes the reason is immediate, obvious. When I'm stressed out about something that happened recently or I'm trying to avoid something that needs to be done, I turn to binging.

The taste in my mouth and the chemical reaction in my brain makes me feel better... for a few minutes. If a little made me feel good, a lot will make me feel great, right?

The above. Usually though, it starts out of boredom or avoiding something I need to do but don't feel like doing. Then, when I have a taste and the brain chemistry changes, it turns into a binge because after I have a little, I want more, more more.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ok have you been watching me? This sounds so like me.
  • jenna_laurelle
    jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Sometimes the reason isn't obvious, it is something under the surface. Sometimes it is something that happened a long time ago that I'm still upset about, carrying around with me, and over time it builds up.

I binge because my mother binged. I watched her do it, and she sometimes encouraged us to do it it, too. I think it made her happy, made her feel less alone. She doesn't talk to me anymore. I binge because I hope that she will talk to me again if I am just more like her, like she wanted me to be.

I binge because a lot of people do -- in our culture, it seems kind of "normal" to me.

I binge because I'm afraid I won't be able to have what I have right now, later. I binge because I'm afraid that there will never be "enough..." that *I* will never be "enough."

I binge because I'm pretty sure this is as good as I get and I might as well give up.

I binge because I'm happy and it is a kind of celebration.

Why do you binge?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I also binge for emotional reasons.

I binge because I don't think I'm good enough for my diet

I binge because I don't see results I want to when I'm "good" so what's the point?

I binge because it smells just so freakin' good and I can't stop eating it.
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for emotional/depression related reasons (ie nothing brings me any joy except food). When I am doing better emotionally, it's usually because I crave something and it calls to me (and I think sugar especially is like a drug). And sometimes because I try to convince myself 'oh one day of bad eating isn't THAT bad' but of course it is that bad when you eat totally out of control and one day turns into many.
  • turbomachine1
    turbomachine1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I binge because it makes me feel better, it is a quick fix and for that moment that I'm eating I do not feel anything else than pleasure; then I do not want it to stop; then I overeat and can't move...and finally I think about my aching stomach instead of what made me binge in the first place.
    I always say that this is the last time but then I wander what if I can't have the cheesecake/chocolate tomorrow...that somehow there will be a famine and I'll never taste those food again...
  • mslindafranco
    mslindafranco Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I binge for emotional reasons as most do. Most the time I dont even know somethings wrong. I have learned through therapy for depression that we do this and other bad habbits of compulsion. Fir example shopping, drinking, cleaning etc.... The best thing to do is really as dumb as this may sound is find a hobby. I have picked up drawing painting something new and relaxing. Pedicures on me and my daughter or projects that are new it sounds dumb but it honestly works.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Announcement::flowerforyou:

Please note I have posted a monthly conversation thread for us: See link below and please share because we are not alone in this struggle with binge eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654612-be-support-group-conversation-thread-2012