* Toxic exposure
* Malabsorption
* Maldigestion
* Chronic illness
* Chronic-severe allergies
* Hypogycemia
* Nutritional deficiencies

Testing for Adrenal Health
In order to determine the health of your adrenal glands you need to have a simple blood, urine, or saliva test such as the Adrenal Stress Index performed by your practitioner. Cortisol levels can be checked throughout the day by saliva or in the am by blood. DHEA, and Epinephrine, are some other indicators of adrenal function. The information provided by testing can help to determine the most appropriate type of treatment.

Associated Symptoms and Consequences of Impaired Adrenal Functioning
* Low body temperature
* Weakness
* Unexplained hair loss
* Nervousness/Panic Attacks
* Difficulty building muscle
* Irritability
* Mental depression
* Difficulty gaining weight
* Apprehension
* Hypoglycemia
* Inability to concentrate
* Excessive hunger
* Tendency towards inflammation
* Moments of confusion
* Indigestion
* Poor memory
* Feelings of frustration
* Alternating diarrhea and constipation
* Osteoporosis
* Auto-immune diseases/hepatitis
* Lightheadedness
* Palpitations [heart fluttering]
* Dizziness that occurs upon standing
* Poor resistance to infections
* Low blood pressure
* Insomnia
* Food and/or inhalant allergies
* PMS
* Craving for sweets
* Dry and thin skin
* Headaches
* Scanty perspiration
* Alcohol intolerance

Treatment
Lifestyle changes such as:
Eating steadily, all day long. Skipping meals is one of the worst things you can do for your body. When you're hungry, your blood sugar drops, stressing your adrenal glands and triggering your sympathetic nervous system. That causes light-headedness, cravings, anxiety and fatigue. Another drawback to skipping meals: The resulting low blood sugar can affect your ability to think clearly and shorten your attention span.

Skipping breakfast is particularly bad, as it is a sure fire way to gain, not lose, weight. If you start each morning with a good breakfast and "graze" healthfully every two to four hours, your blood sugar will remain steady throughout the day. You'll feel more rested and energetic. Eat protein with every meal. Eat Complex carbohydrates such as brown rice.

Avoid sugar, junk food, white pasta, white rice, white bread.

Absolutely NO Caffeine. Coffee/Sodas over stimulates your adrenals and they deplete important B vitamins. Coffee does not give you energy; coffee gives you the illusion of energy. Coffee actually drains the body of energy and makes you more tired, because of vitamin and adrenal depletion.

Exercise to relax. Walking, Yoga, deep breathing, meditation, or stretching. No vigorous or aerobic exercise, which depletes the adrenals.

Avoid alcohol, processed foods, and tobacco. Nicotine in tobacco initially raises cortisol levels, but chronic use results in low DHEA, testosterone, and progesterone levels.

Reduce stress; learn relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, visualization, progressive muscle relaxation.

Replies

• NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Very interesting... She thinks as she takes the last sip of her coffee. I've actually had adrenal fatigue before, at the end of my dance degree. I felt like I was on overdrive constantly, always tense and jumpy and feeling like I almost had too much energy. Yet at the same time knowing it was very much empty energy. Not fun.