Weight Lifting Straps

Options
_Sally_
_Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
I'm in Stage 2 and I'm having a lot of grip problems in the wide grip dead lift on a box.

It feels like my legs/glutes can go much heavier, but my hands and forearms are really barely able to do the 2 sets of 10 (I'm lifting about 90/95 lbs). I was able to lift a little more in the regular deadlifts in Stage 1 and my hands hurt then, but not as bad as in the wide grip.

Does anyone here use straps? I've heard both pros and cons to doing so. I also wonder if I should just up the weight and lower the reps of the sets.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question on the main boards when I was about where you are now. The consensus from the experienced lifters tended toward allowing your grip strength to increase. I followed their advice, and am pleased to report that my grip strength has improved greatly. It didn't hold me back on increasing my lifts for very long. I do still have to reset my grip partway through some sets, but it's only a hesitation of a second or so.

I do use lifting gloves, but not just for grip. While I think that women look lovely with muscles, that does not extend to huge callouses! Besides, I feel bada$$ when I wear them! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This gives me some hope that my grip strength may get better...

I used to wear gloves years ago, but don't do so today. I just keep the pumice stone near by! :smile: