Eating my TDEE but not hitting my BMR

Options
Snapplejac
Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
Hi everyone
I think I'm gonna try and give this eating more a go. At the moment I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the New Weightlifting Rules for Women by post, and have been busy calculating TDEE and BMR. I'm just about eating enough (ish) total TDEE calories (-15%) but I'm falling a few hundred short of the BMR of 1511. Not quite sure what I should set my goals on MFP since this works on net cals rather than total. Any advice? I've put 1511 in for now, but presumably this is bare minimum. However if I put my TDEE in, MFP will up the value anytime I enter some exercise. How do others get around this?

Have also switched up the ratios on c/f/p, I was already over-eating on protein so it will be nice not to see that in the red :)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

Usually one's TDEE is higher than one's BMR. BMR is the amount of food a hospital would feed you if you were in a coma. TDEE- is how many calories you burn through living and not being comatose.

What numbers have you gotten so far? Let's see if we can work this out :)

If the 1500 number is your BMR then you *never* eat less than that. Never ever.
  • Snapplejac
    Options
    Hi there,

thanks for your help! My TDEE (with the 15% cut) calculated at 1992 and my BMR is 1511. Currently I'm eating around 1200 net calories, so i'm aiming for 1511 net this week and will try and up it again next week - although I'm not sure what I should be aiming for :) I read that I can aim for 1992 total calories and not eat back my exercise calories, on most days of the week if I don't eat that back I won't get above the BMR.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

thanks for your help! My TDEE (with the 15% cut) calculated at 1992 and my BMR is 1511. Currently I'm eating around 1200 net calories, so i'm aiming for 1511 net this week and will try and up it again next week - although I'm not sure what I should be aiming for :) I read that I can aim for 1992 total calories and not eat back my exercise calories, on most days of the week if I don't eat that back I won't get above the BMR.

Ahh I see- thanks for clarifying for me- I'm a bit slow sometimes! :D
    What I would do is go and manually set MFP's caloric goal for you at 1511 and then eat your exercise cals- this will put your NET at 1511. See how you feel and are doing- give it a little bit to settle in. You can always readjust if needed.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    Another possibility is to enter your TDEE and when you enter your exercise put calories at 1 (it won't let you put 0). The only negative to this way is if you do a large burn of cals on one day, you may need to eat more than 1992 so that you don't dip below BMR NET. The negative being you won't see that on your tracking info and then may not do it.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I went into the edit goals, and manually entered the calories I want to net per day.

MFP thinks I'll gain weight, but I've started losing again!

I'm currently netting about 2000 per day, but I'm okay with anything between 1900 & 2200 (my TDEE -15% is about 2350).
    My BMR is 1707.
  • Snapplejac
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I really hope this works! BMR set to 1511 for now.... I guess I have to give it a few weeks at least to see how that goes :)