Been lowering carbs, but what is the magic number?

Options
bsgkid
bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
I have started cutting back on carbs, but I don't think I'm anywhere near the Atkins induction phase. 1) How many carbs should I be shooting for in a day, and 2) how can I get my food log to quit telling me I have 210 grams of carbs available for the day?

Based on a reaction I had recently while fasting, I think I'm addicted to sugar. My first bite of a Subway on flatbread after fasting gave me this instant calm like you had just given a crackhead some drugs. It was kind of scary/funny/sad all at the same time. :huh: I'm curious about the keto lifestyle, and a little intimidated too.

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to be a low carber first and go gradually into it.
    I think if you are a real carb addict, cold turkey may be very unplesant.....I wasn't on a high carb diet before but had some adjustment period to contend with.
    Baby steps. Take out all wheat products as a start for a defined period of time, say a week, then extend it to another so you get used to gradual change.
    Good luck!
  • ibwk
    ibwk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kymmu's advice is great, but it might not work if you have "all or nothing" mentality.

the "magic number" where ketosis happens is 20-50g of net carbs (all carbs minus fiber).

i see you did some fasting, so i bet you have willpower to ditch all the carbs cold turkey. you will most likely undergo a keto flu first week, and after that you won't be a carbs' ***** anymore!

i recommend eating 20g net carbs the first month and drop artificial sweeteners too. when you are fully in keto, you can experiment and see how your body responds to something like diet soda or chewing gum and you can up your carbs intake if you wish.

to not see "210 carbs left", go to settings>goals>custom goals. keto ratios are 65% fat /30% protein /5% carbs
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 30g/carb now days.
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I need to pay attention and make notes as to which artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols I can eat and stay in ketosis, and which ones in what quantities I react to like sugar. In theory, when I'm focusing on counting, I'll aim for <14 of absorbable carbs (out of 1400 cals).

And I completely agree with the addiction part. I would have shanked a basket of kittens for a full sugar Sprite my first week! And now, if I find myself on a trip and I cheat, I can't just have one cookie. I have to eat the whole plate of cookies, a carton of ice cream, and everything else I can get my hands on. I will feel violently sick while I'm doing it and for the next day or two, but not even the Hulk can rip a rice crispy treat out of my hand.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    For the most part, all of my carbs come from green vegetables. So, it ends up being around 20 a day, sometimes way less. I will be adding fruit back into my diet soon, which will raise that # more. Good luck and stick with it!
  • ronellevan
    Options
    This is also a very personal number. Our bodies are all different and have varying degrees of carb sensitivity.

You need to just play around with it till you fin what works for you.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 20 carbs a day, even though I've been doing keto for 3 months. I try to get as much of my carbs as possible from veggies, though I've been a little more lenient lately. Had alcohol rarely, let myself have a glass of wine yesterday.. Had a chocolate egg today. I have about 11 pounds left to loose. When I get there, I'll start experimenting to see carb toleration, but will still keep out processed foods, and keep low carbing.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

i see you did some fasting, so i bet you have willpower to ditch all the carbs cold turkey. you will most likely undergo a keto flu
    Actually ketosis happens under 100g a day. The brain uses 100g of glucose per day, any less than this you will be forced to

this is completely wrong.
    Ketosis happens anytime you burn fat for fuel.
    Gluconeogenesis happens anytime you burn muscle for fuel
    Your goal is to get into ketosis and stay there. Avoid not getting enough protein, otherwise you will enter gluconeogenesis, but that is next to impossible to get into unless you are anorexic or exercising at too high a heart rate.

for a woman 50g carbs or less is your initial goal. Anything above that is for anyone like an athlete or cardio freak. Also, Your brain does not use that much glucose. And ketones are the by product of fat burning.