Total Calorie Question

Options
Mgray1024
Mgray1024 Posts: 6 Member
Just out of curiosity, how many calories does your nutritionist say you should eat a day? I'm 7 months out and mine said to stay anywhere from 600-900 calories a day and to stay under 80 grams of protein.

She said that the fewer calories will help us continue to lose weight and that if I can't drink enough water, I shouldn't go over the 80 grams of protein because it could cause dehydration.....

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I agree with her about the calories but not the protein. There is no evidence that eating protein will dehydrate you. Now, eating "too much" protein can be hard on the kidneys but when we say "too much" we're talking about mega doses. Not 1 g per lb of body weight or less.

My program generically recommends staying under 800 calories and getting 70-90 g of protein a day. Individuals get modified from that based on their own circumstances but that's where we all start.
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My pre-albumin levels where low on my first month labs so my NUT jacked up my protein to 125gm a day. I can't get near that many grams of protein without eating around 900 calories. They haven't actually given me a calorie restriction. I guess Ill ask at my next appointment. I will say that the first week that I took my protein from 80-90 to about 115-124 I saw my biggest lose the week after surgery.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I was eating 120 g a day, I was also eating 1200 calories a day. No one specifically said that was okay but my surgeon did say "keep doing what you are doing" so it was implied, right? :wink:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That sounds about what most people consume at that point. I eat around 2000 calories to maintain and cut back to 1500 when I'm trying to lose. I'm 3.5 years out from gastric bypass surgery. Most people post-RNY seem to eat around 1200-1600 to maintain.