Brand new- scared of deadlifts

nic2561
nic2561 Posts: 21 Member
Hi ladies! I have been lurking around this group for a couple of weeks while I waited for and devoured my copy of NWLR4W. I had my first workout on Monday, and while I was nervous I didn't do things correctly I am certainly very sore today, so I take that as a good sign. I'm kind of new to the weight room (I'm your typical treadmill/elliptical followed by a few weight machines that look doable and then I'm out kind of girl) and my first workout went better than I had expected. I was nervous I didn't do my squats w/ barbell correctly because while I was doing it, I couldn't really feel my legs working, but I had to wobble my way down the stairs all day yesterday. I'm slightly concerned because my lower back was hurting a bit yesterday but after work, I walked the 30 blocks home and I think that may have loosened it up.

Tomorrow is my first B workout and I'm a little nervous about deadlifts. I've been looking up youtube videos but I still don't feel totally prepared. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on things I should remember while performing these? I'm nervous about my back in particular and this looks like the kind of exercise that is awesome when done correctly and terrible when done incorrectly....and it seems like it's pretty easy to mess up! I'm probably just building it up in my head and making myself nervous for no reason but any help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    congrats on getting started! i know some of the barbell moves feel a little intimidating at first but the secret is perfecting your form before going heavy. and with form it seems there is always room for improvement, no matter how much practice you get.

i really like this video for deadlifts, i watch it before every b workout as a refresher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

i try to remember to keep my grip evenly spaced so the bar is balanced, feet even, chest up, butt up, and bend at the hips, not the back. try it without weight a few times to get the feel of form, then try it with just the bar before adding weights. if your gym has small increment weights like 2.5lbs, those are good for increasing slowly.

with squats, knees shouldn't go beyond the toes, back should stay straight, and thighs should be perpendicular to the floor at the low point. if something hurts, lower the weight and practice form. and there are a ton of really knowledgeable and experienced lady lifters on this board.
  • nic2561
    Thank you so much for your help and advice! That video is really helpful.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Try not to be nervous I was nervous about them before my first B workout yesterday. They went just fine. :)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    If you're going to the gym, maybe you can ask one of the trainers to assist in making sure you're using proper form. I'm sure they would be glad to help. :smile:
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    I hate squats and am scared of deadlifts as well. For squats, I do them next to a ledge in my gym that is the perfect height for going down low enough. I aim for it with my bum so that I keep my Knees from going over my toes and am not scared of losing my balance or not being able to get back up. I am meeting with a trainer to perfect my deadlifts before I add more weight because I am not quite sure of how to do them or if I am doing them correctly.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    It will go better than you think! Keep everything tight -core, shoulder blades together, head a bit, natural arch in the lower back, push through your heels, keep the bar close to your shins, hands just out from the knees. That's all there is. One simple advise-grab the bar and lifted up. Don't over think it too much.You will do just great! Good luck!
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Despite my profile pic...deadlifts scare me too! LOL

I second everybody's advise on here - especially the go slowly with adding weight. Stage 1 is really about - getting your form right, getting comfortable rather than pushing the weights high super fast... so get comfortable and confident with the form before you increase the weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Trust yourself and your body. Don't worry about the weight just yet. Try to keep your shoulders back. Keep the bar as close as possible to your body. Look at yourself in the mirror, don't look down. Don't worry deadlifts are more scared of you then you are of them
  • nic2561
    Thanks so much for the responses and encouragement! I'm ready for my deadlifts...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    stop thinking about it and just do it. :laugh:

these are natural movements that the body doed and you will need to tweak the 'perfect form' to work with your body since every body is different.

for instance, i have fkexibility issues with my anklrs and long leg bones (femur and tibia) and short torso. my squats are going to look a little different than someone with more ankle flexibility, less hip flexilibility, eyc. sane with the deads.

the only time i screwed up my knee weight lifting was when i was trying to make my squats look exactly like someone else's, ignoring my own body needs
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Im having issues with the bar slipping. Im lifting 30 kilos plus the bar weight for my deadlifts and would like to go heavier but the bar keeps slipping from my grip. VERY FRUSTRATING!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Im having issues with the bar slipping. Im lifting 30 kilos plus the bar weight for my deadlifts and would like to go heavier but the bar keeps slipping from my grip. VERY FRUSTRATING!

You can use mixed grip-one hand under, one hand over. That works better for me. But as your grip gets stronger it will get better.
  • RepsnSets
    Thank you, I'll try that one today.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    for gripping you should also wear lifting gloves. unless of course you want to develop calluses. i know some people do.
    10036 Posts: 51 Member
    stop thinking about it and just do it. :laugh:

these are natural movements that the body doed and you will need to tweak the 'perfect form' to work with your body since every body is different.

for instance, i have fkexibility issues with my anklrs and long leg bones (femur and tibia) and short torso. my squats are going to look a little different than someone with more ankle flexibility, less hip flexilibility, eyc. sane with the deads.

the only time i screwed up my knee weight lifting was when i was trying to make my squats look exactly like someone else's, ignoring my own body needs

You know, I've been getting sore knees from squats. Guess I need to make some adjustments.
  • RepsnSets
    Ive been wearing gloves for years as I sweat alot....But they arent helping much with the ol grip while deadlifting.....One more week of stage one to go. :)
  • RepsnSets
    Ive been wearing gloves for years as I sweat alot....But they arent helping much with the ol grip while deadlifting.....One more week of stage one to go. :)

Still slipping! Im gonna ask the people who work at the gym what can solve this problem. Didnt have time to ask today.

Another good session! Im up to reps of 8 now and I was still saw from Mondays session too.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    [You know, I've been getting sore knees from squats. Guess I need to make some adjustments.

I was getting sore knees too - watch that you are breaking at the hips first and not going to far forward with your knees... they shouldn't go past your toes at the most! I try and keep them more over my ankles when I squat...

There is a great thread here with videos on proper form... I'll try and find it and bump it for you... in particular there is an EXCELLENT video on how to prevent knee pain/back pain in a squat.
    10036 Posts: 51 Member
    [You know, I've been getting sore knees from squats. Guess I need to make some adjustments.

I was getting sore knees too - watch that you are breaking at the hips first and not going to far forward with your knees... they shouldn't go past your toes at the most! I try and keep them more over my ankles when I squat...

There is a great thread here with videos on proper form... I'll try and find it and bump it for you... in particular there is an EXCELLENT video on how to prevent knee pain/back pain in a squat.

Thanks for the info! That video sounds helpful. Maybe I should have someone watch and make sure I'm doing it the right way once I figure out what way that is. Having trouble thinking I'm going to fall backwards when I try to keep my knees from going over my toes lol
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    I loathe deadlifts!! :) I love them for their benefit but find them to be very awkward exercise. I am definiltey higher in weight in Sqauts compared to deadlifts and feel like its the grip thing that gets me messed up.

Also, unless I am lifting the bar off the ground (for which you need to have 45 lbs weight on each end to be at the perfect height), the motion feels strange.

I am going to keep trying till I perfect them, I definitely can not lift 90 lbs + bar weight today for deadlifts but will try gloves to see if they make my grip better. I find the mixed grip even tougher, but I know thats just me, because some people swear by it.

Oh well, they are a neccessary evil that I have to master. The video was awesome btw.