Just started our second batch of kraut

Options
momof8munchkins
momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
This is our second attempt.our first was extremely salty. We found a new recipe that didn't have so much salt but added vinegar.. so we'll see.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mominpa
    mominpa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe:

1 medium head of cabbage
    1/2 TBS sea salt
    4 TBS whey
    Wide mouth quart size jar...

I shred the cabbage. put it in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and whey.... Mix well. Taste, add more salt if necessary. Cover bowl let sit for 30 minutes or longer. During this time the salt will pull the juices out of the cabbage. Stir to check the liquid is being released.

When the mixture is juciy... transfer to quart jar. pack tightly. Fill jar to the shoulder... pound downso that cabbage is covered by juice. Add more whey if necessary.

Allow the cabbage to ferment at room temp for 3-7 days. If necessary cehck it during the fermentation and press down cabbage.

Toward the end...the cabbage may get soft.. if this happens ferement for a shorter time.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    This is my recipe:

1 medium head of cabbage
    1/2 TBS sea salt
    4 TBS whey
    Wide mouth quart size jar...

I shred the cabbage. put it in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and whey.... Mix well. Taste, add more salt if necessary. Cover bowl let sit for 30 minutes or longer. During this time the salt will pull the juices out of the cabbage. Stir to check the liquid is being released.

When the mixture is juciy... transfer to quart jar. pack tightly. Fill jar to the shoulder... pound downso that cabbage is covered by juice. Add more whey if necessary.

Allow the cabbage to ferment at room temp for 3-7 days. If necessary cehck it during the fermentation and press down cabbage.

Toward the end...the cabbage may get soft.. if this happens ferement for a shorter time.
    the recipe we used is similar.. but we used apple cider vinegar .. we have to be dairy free ..:ohwell:
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    It turned out really well.. yay! :happy:
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    You know what I've discovered?.. I DON"T LIKE KRAUT lol I'm happy we learned to make it for the health benefits but wow I REALLY don't like it ..well unless if it is smoothered in smoked sausage and onions.lol..
    so do ya'll eat ya'll eat your kraut?