Morning or Night?

Options
dino_girl
dino_girl Posts: 28 Member
I am on Synthyroid medication for my hypothyroidism

Is morning or night the best time to take my medication??? Any thoughts?

Replies

• 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I am on armour thyroid, so different, but I always take it in the morning. I have read that thyroid medicines are best taken when you eat nothing for 2 hours before or 1 hour after, so morning is the easiest time for me to do that!
  • hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options
    Most doctors recommend (even what my pill bottle says) taking in the morning 1 hr. before breakfast...I was following these directions until I realized that you are not suppose to take your meds within 4 hrs of calcium (dairy)..I am a milk drinker and couldn't wait the 4 hours! I switched to taking my pills at night before bed..just need to make sure you are on an empty stomach (at least 2-3 hrs after eating)...I figured taking at night (at least for me) I still get my milk for breakfast and I am not snacking after dinner..
  • momma2teacher
    momma2teacher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my endo told me to take it in at night. I have found that I feel better when I take it at night.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've heard morning is best, but I take mine at night. Basically because I don't eat for a couple of hours before bed, and I can remember it easier! Too much of a fog in the am before my coffee...

I've heard, though, that thyroid meds can adversely affect sleep. I'm lucky in that they don't seem to for me, but everyone is different.
  • dino_girl
    dino_girl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So far I find I feel better taking it at night, but I will give it some more time before I see some actual changes by taking it at night. So far it has not affected my sleep. :bigsmile:
  • michmill98
    Options
    I take mine in the morning (which is also what the pharmacy instructions and my dr said to do). Up at 5, light to moderate exercise for 30 minutes (most days), get ready for work, commute, and at my desk by 7. I eat breakfast at my desk (yogurt/granola or a luna bar/fruit) while checking my email and verifying my overnight reports.

Yes, I'm consuming calcium within two hours of taking it, but it's not like I'm drinking a half gallon of milk either so I don't think it has a huge affect on it. From what I recall on the pharmacy notes, it seemed like they were referring to calcium supplements but I could be wrong - it's been a while since I read those lately.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Synthroid and I take it in the morning. The only reason they say you should take it at night is because you need to have an empty stomach. But I have read that it can be take at night as long as it's 4 hours after you've eaten or taken other medicaiton, includes vitamins. There is a study that says it may be beneficial to take it at night.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I was on Synthroid, I took it at night. Now I am on Armour, and I take 1 grain in the morning and 1/2 grain in the late afternoon. But my "morning" dose is really like 3am or 4am -- I always wake up at that time, and just take it -- so by the time morning rolls around, I don't have to worry about calcium blocking absorption.
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I take mines in the morning. I take my t4/t3 and then my other t3 in the evening.
  • vhleblanc
    Options
    I'm on 150mcg of Synthroid. First few years I took it mornings. My levels stayed on the low side.
    I saw a news program (specifically mentioning Synthroid) that talked about absorption and how caffeine and soy products can interfere. I consume alot of soy products, even soy milk in my 1 latte every morning ... I don't eat anything after supper most nights so this made sense to try.
    Within a month I felt less foggy-headed and my bloodwork that next round showed reasonable levels for a change. I've never slept well at night unfortunately, so I can't say if the switch impacted that at all.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm on 150mcg of Synthroid. First few years I took it mornings. My levels stayed on the low side.
    I saw a news program (specifically mentioning Synthroid) that talked about absorption and how caffeine and soy products can interfere. I consume alot of soy products, even soy milk in my 1 latte every morning ... I don't eat anything after supper most nights so this made sense to try.
    Within a month I felt less foggy-headed and my bloodwork that next round showed reasonable levels for a change. I've never slept well at night unfortunately, so I can't say if the switch impacted that at all.

Not sure if you knew, but Soy is not good for your thyroid. It is a "goitrogen" the same as raw cruciferous vegetables and a few other foods. That means it is one of those foods that causes goiters on the thyroid. Goitrogens are also thought to slow down thyroid function, which is the opposite of what a hypothyroid person needs. Might be good if you are hyperthyroid though!
    As is much of the information we have about thyroid disease, there are some factions that dispute that soy is bad for the thyroid -- but I have been so sick, that I am not taking any chances!! Maybe you can try coconut milk or almond milk instead?

Thanks!
    Terri