I got something that's gonna scare the pants of ya :)

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
I'm upping my calories to 2500 a day.

You read that right- I'm busting through the 2000 barrier and taking it higher!

But Gemi! (you may say) You are still one fat mama, won't this make you HUGE???

Ahh- fear not! For I have The Math on my side :D

Three different TDEE calculations from different calculators-

So I said- woah, big variance there! So I took an average of the three and got this:

WOW! Gemi you must move so much! What is your job- Super Nurse With A Fifty Pound Backpack??

Nope- I'm a housewife. A sedentary one most of the time. I do online stuff, spend about an hour doing dishes cleaning the kitchen, another hour or so making dinner, then I spend an hour with Hubbs playing Kinect or going for a walk. That's it.

I currently weigh 260 lbs- so it takes some umph to get me around. Am I made of ONLY fat? NOPE! So, it takes calories to keep the muscle I have made so far and to keep this mass of me moving around. I'm actually quite muscular- so this made me question the old idea that if you are fat you can starve yourself and be fine- after all JUST LOOK at all the pudge you've got on you!

Tsk tsk tsk, says I.

You wouldn't tell me to start smoking because I am fat, would you? You wouldn't tell me I should take hCG because I have 'more to lose', would you?

No. So why would I do further damage to my metabolism by starving myself and slowing down the intensity of my workouts from lack of fuel?

I refuse.

But Gemi!!! You wont be able to eat that amount forever! You will weigh less at your goal weight and then your TDEE will change! Monkeys will fly out of your armpits and then what will you eeeeeeat!!??

Look- my TDEE won't change overnight. I'm not dropping twenty pounds in a week here- so adjusting to my new TDEE will be a more natural process because I won't be starved for nutrients or calories. Here's a thought- what if my TDEE does NOT change? What if I learn I enjoy running 5k races? That's an easy thousand calories to burn. What if I learn I love playing basketball or going on long hikes? These take FUEL to do properly- so why wouldn't I spend this time learning how to FUEL the activities I want to do later?

I WILL feed myself no matter what my size- big or little. *THIS* is the big game-changer. I will FUEL myself :)

So I am upping my calories again. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out :D

Replies

• shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    *LOL*

I LOVE the "Monkeys will fly out of your armpits" line!!

There is a guy on here, his name is Ed, and he's lost like 300 lbs -- and he nets about 3000 calories a day. Yes, the more you weigh, the more calories you need to function! MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

You GO gf!! :)
  • gemiwing
    Options
    *LOL*

I LOVE the "Monkeys will fly out of your armpits" line!!

There is a guy on here, his name is Ed, and he's lost like 300 lbs -- and he nets about 3000 calories a day. Yes, the more you weigh, the more calories you need to function! MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

You GO gf!! :)

THANKS!! :D
    I talked to Ed yesterday and he's the one who convinced me to up my cals again. Even in discussions of 'eating more' there is still this odd ceiling around 2000-2300 cals that we as women seem petrified to go over.
    BAH! Smash it with a hammah! :D

I plan on being one Strong Super Mamma! I need fuel for that to happen!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm upping my calories a little at a time as well looking for the sweet spot where I still lose about 0.5-1.0#/week. Isn't it the coolest thing? I love No Deprivation weight loss.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Good for you! I'm upping my calories a little at a time as well looking for the sweet spot where I still lose about 0.5-1.0#/week. Isn't it the coolest thing? I love No Deprivation weight loss.
    Thank you! I love this too- I have SO much energy now. LOL If anyone knew me six months ago nonya would recognize me! :D I love fueling my body- it's beyond amazing!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm upping my calories to 2500 a day.

You read that right- I'm busting through the 2000 barrier and taking it higher!

But Gemi! (you may say) You are still one fat mama, won't this make you HUGE???

Ahh- fear not! For I have The Math on my side :D

Three different TDEE calculations from different calculators-

So I said- woah, big variance there! So I took an average of the three and got this:

WOW! Gemi you must move so much! What is your job- Super Nurse With A Fifty Pound Backpack??

Nope- I'm a housewife. A sedentary one most of the time. I do online stuff, spend about an hour doing dishes cleaning the kitchen, another hour or so making dinner, then I spend an hour with Hubbs playing Kinect or going for a walk. That's it.

I currently weigh 260 lbs- so it takes some umph to get me around. Am I made of ONLY fat? NOPE! So, it takes calories to keep the muscle I have made so far and to keep this mass of me moving around. I'm actually quite muscular- so this made me question the old idea that if you are fat you can starve yourself and be fine- after all JUST LOOK at all the pudge you've got on you!

Tsk tsk tsk, says I.

You wouldn't tell me to start smoking because I am fat, would you? You wouldn't tell me I should take hCG because I have 'more to lose', would you?

No. So why would I do further damage to my metabolism by starving myself and slowing down the intensity of my workouts from lack of fuel?

I refuse.

But Gemi!!! You wont be able to eat that amount forever! You will weigh less at your goal weight and then your TDEE will change! Monkeys will fly out of your armpits and then what will you eeeeeeat!!??

Look- my TDEE won't change overnight. I'm not dropping twenty pounds in a week here- so adjusting to my new TDEE will be a more natural process because I won't be starved for nutrients or calories. Here's a thought- what if my TDEE does NOT change? What if I learn I enjoy running 5k races? That's an easy thousand calories to burn. What if I learn I love playing basketball or going on long hikes? These take FUEL to do properly- so why wouldn't I spend this time learning how to FUEL the activities I want to do later?

I WILL feed myself no matter what my size- big or little. *THIS* is the big game-changer. I will FUEL myself :)

So I am upping my calories again. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out :D

ok so those flying monkeys have always scared me, but that aside. I love this group. I have uped to 1700 to start, and feel great. I havent lost much weight but I have gone from a 14 to a 12 that are lose. Fuel is so important. Makes us stronger. Isnt it amazing what we can eat when it is good for us!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    ok so those flying monkeys have always scared me, but that aside. I love this group. I have uped to 1700 to start, and feel great. I havent lost much weight but I have gone from a 14 to a 12 that are lose. Fuel is so important. Makes us stronger. Isnt it amazing what we can eat when it is good for us!

Congratulations!! That's great! :D I call it 'visual weight' we know the scale didn't move but boy do we look like we lost weight!

Amen- Fuel is so, so important!
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you are SO very brave..and SO very very smart!!

good for you!!
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    LOVED this post, gemi!!! Looking forward to reading about your progress!

(I started checking out these threads a few days ago... I'm also one of the 2K+ ladies..... just seeing what else is out here in the big, bad MFP world.... :laugh: )
  • gemiwing
    Options
    LOVED this post, gemi!!! Looking forward to reading about your progress!

(I started checking out these threads a few days ago... I'm also one of the 2K+ ladies..... just seeing what else is out here in the big, bad MFP world.... :laugh: )

Oh- I LOVE the 2k ladies! :D I un-joined because I simply couldn't keep up with the one thread anymore! Had to find a group with multiple threads for this old brain lol

Hope you consider staying around- could always use more people helping out and having a good time :D
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Gemi I so love you lady! To step out...love it. The more I read and learn I think I should have started with maintenance instead of cut to reset. The great thing is I'm losing nice and slow and keeping muscle gained...but I wonder how things would have played out had I started there. To bust the 2000 mark wow...my maint is 2400 and that seems so high, but now that I am used to 1900 it will get easier to go up. I will wait a couple weeks and go up again to 2000. So funny now I can't imgine eating less than 1800 much less 1200...gosh how did I do that???
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Gemi I so love you lady! To step out...love it. The more I read and learn I think I should have started with maintenance instead of cut to reset. The great thing is I'm losing nice and slow and keeping muscle gained...but I wonder how things would have played out had I started there. To bust the 2000 mark wow...my maint is 2400 and that seems so high, but now that I am used to 1900 it will get easier to go up. I will wait a couple weeks and go up again to 2000. So funny now I can't imgine eating less than 1800 much less 1200...gosh how did I do that???

Shucks, thanks! I wonder many what if's lol What if I had been dx'd with wheat allergies before the brain damage occurred, what if I could have had health insurance and gotten a properly-fitted wheelchair and my shoulder didn't suffer.... we are where we are when we are needed to be there :)

I sure can't imagine going back to eating so little again... I would cry- literally cry- if my maintenance was 1500. I had a nightmare about it even lol I would start running to keep my TDEE high enough to eat :D
  • Pheather83
    Options

The "sweet spot" :) well put!!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel like the 1200 coward all over again! Your the trailblazer Gemi!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Wow I feel like the 1200 coward all over again! Your the trailblazer Gemi!

Aww- thanks Jade :D Easy to do with a good friend like you in my corner :D
  • gemiwing
    Options
    UPDATE-

Going great! Never hungry and don't use free days anymore- there's nothing I can't make work any day I want it really. If I want a day over- then I just take it. No 'cheating' feeling required.. I just DO IT by choice and own it. Liberating! :D

I've lost another inch in my belly and am closing in on another inch in my hips! :D
    So far I've lost 19.5 inches!!

Gone down in skirt size too- so I bought a new skirt for Easter. (and some silver sandals because c'mon..silver sandals.)

Just changed up my workout so I'm eager to see how that helps too!!!

YAY FUEL!!!!!

Also- I love love love eating 2500 cals a day- I feel fueled still. Feel powerful and capable of handling whatever comes my way that day. Love it!!!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    : D I always have the biggest grin for your posts Gemi. This is great.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Another UPDATE-

Thanks, Jade! You rock as well :D:D

ANOTHER TWO INCHES GONE!!! woot woot!! :D

down 22.5 inches