HI, cardio junkie ready to try heavy lifting

sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hi all,

I'm a NEW RULES newbie (not new to MFP), spin and dance instructor, cyclist, and stand-up paddleboarder (SUPer). (Actually SUP is more core and resistance than cardio). I have taught group strength classes, however only using 10 lb weights and of course using 128 bpm music in order to keep time. According to the book, useless stuff.

I am 6 weeks past a ski accident where I had a grade 3 tear of my left MCL. I am much improved, but cannot fully straighten my knee without pain yet (almost! almost!). I am rehabbing it as recommended with spin and "last 5% extensions", and deep massage (ouch). I plan to wear my hinged brace during the workouts--as long as I avoid lateral movement, I should be ok. I can't SUP, dance, or cycle on the road right now, so my only activitity since coming back 2 weeks ago has been only spin. Even a cardio freak knows it's ridiculous to just spin every day.

I would normally SUP MWF, but since balancing on a board on the water is not a good idea with a torn MCL, I decided to start this program that I've been hearing about for months while on MFP. I did a pseudo workout yesterday using machines bc I hadn't finished with the book yet, but tomorrow will start with a real workout A.

Although I always eat my exercise calories, this is a huge mindshift for me, especially the part about really paying attention to macros. I have pretty much eaten whatever I wanted in the past, and though my diet is pretty healthy, it certainly has NOT been focused on protein. I set my calories up to maintenance yesterday and changed my macros to 30 protein, 40 carbs, 30 fat; I did not make it, but I did consume more protein than ever before. Not coincidentally, I assume, for the first time ever, I was unable to finish my calories for the day, due to being uncomfortably full. I had 200 left, and I NEVER have calories left.

Aha. this will take some getting used to.

Finally, I will not be keeping my off-day cardio workouts under 30 minutes bc I teach spin classes on those days. Once my knee is fully recovered, I anticipate returning to my usual 2 hour bike rides on Saturdays that average 14-16 mph, SUPing 3 days (probably same day as lift bc it's not terribly exhausting), teaching dance classes and performing again, so my cardio life will continue; I just want to incorporate heavy lifting too.

Anyway, just thought I'd post here and say hello. If anyone has suggestions for keeping my knee safe during the stage 1 workouts (it's the interior side, must be careful not to move laterally), experience incorporating more cardio than the book suggests, or tips on anything else, I'd love to hear them. thanks!

EDIT: what shoes do you wear? I have running and tennis shoes, useful or not? cross-trainers better? thanks.

blessings.

Replies

• piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    I wear Asics Upshot cross trainers to lift. I'm thinking of getting a pair of 5 finger type shoes though for lifting.

You might want to check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe as well for more detailed instruction on proper lifting. I found the description of proper squat form in "Starting Strength" to be very helpful and more comfortable than that used in the NROL4W. Good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    thank you!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I've read Chuck Taylor Converse type shoes are better for lifting.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    I wear Vibrams. I think going barefoot gives me the most stability, but the gym doesn't allow it ;-)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Welcome and good luck with the program!
    I wear Chucks for lifting!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,096 Member
    I purchased nikes (that look like converse) about 2-3 weeks into this NROL4W program. As a (former) cardio gym-rat, I'd never been out of cross-trainers and I didn't realize how MUCH they were compromising my form until I started with the flat shoes.

Much better.