A bone to pick with Jillian...

Options
ashiggins
ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
I love Jillian's workouts. I have 7 DVDs of hers besides Body Revolution without complaints! However, I'm a bit annoyed by her meal plan and diet advice. In my opinion 1200 cals is much too low for most people. I have about 15-20 pounds to lose and I'm sure I would lose it if I followed her advice and ate 1200 cals a day. However, I would never keep it off. So, I'm sticking to my 1500+ cals. The slower I lose, the more likely that I'll keep it off, especially if I incorporate some of my "normal" foods.

I wish she would customize diet plans a bit more, especially for such a spendy workout system. It just seems like she is suggesting that everyone, regardless of size/activity/gender/goals, should eat 1200 cals a day.

Again, love Jillian's workouts--was just hoping for more with the diet plan. What do you guys think? Maybe the diet plan is okay because of the nutrient dense meals? Just wouldn't be enough for me!

Good luck in all your 90-day journeys!

Replies

• Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi

I haven't received my Body Revolution yet but I have read a couple of times that the meal plan is around 1200 cals a day. I am not sure if I want to do that. It is too low I think. I might give it a go for the kickstart week but I think after that I will aim at 1500-1600 and eat at least at BMR amount of calories. Interested to know what others are thinking/doing.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of issues with the meal plan, but I'm sticking with it. I'm on week 5, so I'm halfway there and then I will have advice for others just starting about how it worked for me. I don't really wanna change it up in the middle, but I am increasing my protein as I have found it keeps me fuller longer and less obsessed with my food and calories. I've been listening to her podcasts lately and she definitely calls this an extreme weight loss program and says it is modeled after The Biggest Loser. I do wish she explained it a little better in terms of BMR, "starvation mode", etc - she just tells us to do it and I think there are plenty of people on the board who follow the meal plan to a t and plenty who follow the calorie restriction as well as some who eat whatever calories they find works best for them. I want to call in and ask her about it on her podcast....
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I know its an extreme weight loss program but I would much rather lose weight more slowly and be able to eat more. I do not follow her meal plan. I think it is too few calories, especially since I'm breastfeeding, I need a LOT more calories than that. I see lots of people following the meal plan exactly and if they like it and its working for them than that's awesome. I'm just uncomfortable with the few calories even if I wasn't breastfeeding.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am following her quick start meal plan and then after that I will incorporate some of her recipes but will be eating at my bmr. I am just finishing day 2 and with her recipes and adding up calories I still come in below 1200 and that's even having my coffee and cream in the morning. I definitely could not sustain this low of calories long term so like I said after quickstart I'm going back to my bmr which is about 1370 for my weight now. Good luck everyone!
  • coquetona
    coquetona Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian's workouts. I have 7 DVDs of hers besides Body Revolution without complaints! However, I'm a bit annoyed by her meal plan and diet advice. In my opinion 1200 cals is much too low for most people. I have about 15-20 pounds to lose and I'm sure I would lose it if I followed her advice and ate 1200 cals a day. However, I would never keep it off. So, I'm sticking to my 1500+ cals. The slower I lose, the more likely that I'll keep it off, especially if I incorporate some of my "normal" foods.

I wish she would customize diet plans a bit more, especially for such a spendy workout system. It just seems like she is suggesting that everyone, regardless of size/activity/gender/goals, should eat 1200 cals a day.

Again, love Jillian's workouts--was just hoping for more with the diet plan. What do you guys think? Maybe the diet plan is okay because of the nutrient dense meals? Just wouldn't be enough for me!

Good luck in all your 90-day journeys!

I couldn't agree more! I did the kick start as written but when week 2 rolled around I upped my calories to 1550ish per day. I have been using her meal plan as guideline of what to make and then I have been eating more of it (I've been mixing in my own things as well). I find that her recipes are over estimating the calories also so people who are following the plan are probably eating closer to 1000 calories instead of the 1200 she says they are eating.

I love Jillian too and her workouts really do it for me but I do have to agree with you about the meal plan. I think that her meal plans are more catered to the people that have a lot of weight to lose (people considered overweight or obese) and she forgets about the percentage of us that are down to those last pounds and can easily put our bodies into starvation mode if we don't eat enough while exercising. My BMR is calculated at 1347. Should I be eating 147 calories under what it would take to keep me alive if I were in a coma? I think not. I wish she would at least include a page or two in her booklets for the people that shouldn't be following the meal plan as I don't think 1200 calories is right for everyone and some people won't do research on their own.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing her meal plan but like some of you, I am upping my protien especially at breakfast.

I have done really well with her workouts in the past and am loving Body Revolution so far.

But I'll handle the meal plan on my own.......