Starting NRoLfW - Question/help please

Options
388gigi
388gigi Posts: 485 Member
Hi There,

My book got delivered this morning and I LOVE it!! I have just gotten to the point where I have worked out my maintenance calories as per the book's calculations.

It is suggesting that I start out on this for stage 1, and assess reevaluate from there.

I have been on MFP for a while now. Been taking it seriously again since the beginning of this year. Thanks to MFP and my boyfriend, my current regime/way of thinking/lifestyle is pretty much on par with what I have read so far in the book. (very close to)

So my question is this. Should I follow the book 100% and up my calories to my maintenance. Or should I stick to my current calorie goal (which is 500 calories less than what the book says, but 200 calories more than what MFP says) ?

Ie. Should I go from goal of 1500-1600 calories per day to 2075 ?
or should I stick to what I'm doing and go from there.

Anyone in the same position when they started the book?

(I haven't read past this point in the book yet, so sorry If i'm jumping the gun!)

Any advise is greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how close are you to your goal weight?

the first time i did nrol i followed their guidelines and lost 10 pounds and a little over 1 pants size.
    if that's about what you'd like to lose then go with their suggestion.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

the first time i did nrol i followed their guidelines and lost 10 pounds and a little over 1 pants size.

Hi, I also just received NROLFW yesterday, and while I haven't gotten to the book's section on calorie intake, my maintenance is around 2200, and currently eatin 1500-1700 and some exercise calories, and I have the same question. However I am FAR from my goal weight, like 80-90lbs to lose, so weight loss is more of a priority than muscle building at this point.

Sorry to derail but I didn't want to make a copycat topic since we have the same question :ohwell:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Hi, I also just received NROLFW yesterday, and while I haven't gotten to the book's section on calorie intake, my maintenance is around 2200, and currently eatin 1500-1700 and some exercise calories, and I have the same question. However I am FAR from my goal weight, like 80-90lbs to lose, so weight loss is more of a priority than muscle building at this point.

Sorry to derail but I didn't want to make a copycat topic since we have the same question :ohwell:

this is the same boat im in. im obese and have about 60 lbs to lose. the first time i didnt lose enough weight (i was also very overweight then). this time im eating at a deficit (i cycle between 10-30%) below maintenance and im now losing 2 lbs a week while doing the program. the only thing with eating at a deficit is that you probably won't be gaining alot of muscle. youll definutely gain strength and keep muscle, but gaining i think is going to be very hard
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I started at 75 kilos, my goal weight is 65 kilos, i'm currently at 70 kilos.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Assuming that I am reading that I am converting right OP that means you only need to lose a bit over 10 lbs. I would go with the books recommendation in that case.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just rec'vd my book in the mail yesterday...I am in the middle range I think...I only need to lose 30lbs which isn't a whole lot but I'm still not too close to my goal....I have only lost 6lbs in 2 months (very slow) & it's driving me crazy...On MFP my cals/day is 1600 which is what someone I trust told me I should stick with but NRoL4W says that I should be at 1575 cals/day on non workout days & 1837 cals/day on workout days...Does that mean that I should keep it the way it is? All of these numbers have me so confused to the point of madness...lol...But I really want to do this right!! I am 5'2" & 160lbs with a medium frame trying to get down to 130lbs for my first goal at least....Being in a more compact body I sometimes wonder if the numbers should be a little different for me b/c a lot of times I cannot eat all of my calories for the day or I feel stuffed...Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated...Anyone that has any advice for me can put it on here or just send me a message...Thanks for your time... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just rec'vd my book in the mail yesterday...I am in the middle range I think...I only need to lose 30lbs which isn't a whole lot but I'm still not too close to my goal....I have only lost 6lbs in 2 months (very slow) & it's driving me crazy...On MFP my cals/day is 1600 which is what someone I trust told me I should stick with but NRoL4W says that I should be at 1575 cals/day on non workout days & 1837 cals/day on workout days...Does that mean that I should keep it the way it is? All of these numbers have me so confused to the point of madness...lol...But I really want to do this right!! I am 5'2" & 160lbs with a medium frame trying to get down to 130lbs for my first goal at least....Being in a more compact body I sometimes wonder if the numbers should be a little different for me b/c a lot of times I cannot eat all of my calories for the day or I feel stuffed...Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated...Anyone that has any advice for me can put it on here or just send me a message...Thanks for your time... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I decided to follow the book's instruction and eat at maintenance for a month, then adjust accordingly afterward. I went from a self-imposed 1550 to 1800. I'm 4' 10.5" and 130 lbs and looking for a 20 lb. weight loss or dropping a couple of pants sizes, whichever comes first. My day tends to start at 4:00 a.m and end somewhere around 9: p.m., so I have plenty of time to eat my way through all my calories. Are you using protein shakes to increase calories? A scoop of protein powder and 8 ozs. of 2% milk gives me 280 calories. I also eat avocados and peanut butter to increase caloric intake. Delicious without being overfilling.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong proponent of eating the maintenance calories, as described in NROL4W, for the first month of training. At that time, THEN make a decision on what next to do.

And, I'm NOT a proponent of any deficit which is bigger than 250-300 calories. At all. I'm just not.