weight gain

Options
Lifting_chick
Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
Ok, so I just started last week but I started bench pressing a few weeks before I got the book.....here is my problem, i going up in weight. I don't know if it is water weight or what, to early to be gaining muscle. So how has the scale been since others started lifting?? I ordered a body fat caliper yesterday because the scale is fast becoming my enemy. Would love to hear what others have experienced when they first started lifting.

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    when doing a weight lifting program you should expect a gain at first...i'm pretty sure the book explains that...stay the course and keep getting stronger....it will level itself out eventually....denise
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am going to stick with it....I like lifting a lot more than I like cardio lol but it is just hard to see the scale go up.....
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't go by the scale. You lift, your muscles tear up, fill up with fluid to repair and then you retain water.A day after lifting your weight goes up, then you lift again and the circle goes on and on. When you have a deload week-a week off of heavy weights, then see how the scale is. I gained weight, but I went down on jeans size, so the scale is not a good measure.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    From what I understand staying away from the scale is smart.

I have to admit I haven't done that myself though. I am only on the 3rd week of the program and got on the scale for the first time since I started on Monday and saw that I went down half a pound. I was SO HAPPY. Then I got on again (for whatever reason) Tuesday and it was up almost 2 pounds!! But I reminded myself that I had lifted Monday evening and that is probably why the scale went up so much.

If you can -just stay away from the scale -I think it is our enemy right now!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    Make it your mantra: "stay off the scale"

And then, just DO THAT. It ends the mind-f*cking, completely!!!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    And take measurements!

I have been fluxing between the same 4#, but have lost over an inch overall in 2 weeks. And that's with extra off days due to my brother's visit.

I'm trying to stay the hell away from the scale...so hard... :)
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this! I've had to ban my scale because I am up 5 pounds and I am so sad and of course I am focusing on that instead of the inches that are coming off.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Hey guys - I'm restarting NR and saw this post. I just saw this on MFP yesterday and it is VERY worth reading. See what this woman accomplished by not worrying about the scale!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on the scale for at least 6 weeks now, but I am now on week 5 of the program and measured last week with an impressive 2cm less around my waist and hips and 0.5cm off my thighs, hence, my jeans fit better, I look better and my friends notice a change. SOD the scale! Measure and look at your clothes :happy:
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.

TRYING to stay off the scale. It's very difficult because I've also upped my calories after reading all the advice from the book and people on MFP. Too much going on at once :)

I did the measurements and am patiently waiting until it is time to remeasure. :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight. I've been on a plateau for 7 months. It's really difficult to see my weight go even higher. I know logically that it's just my muscles retaining fluid. My psyche isn't always logical though. I'm about to do my 11th workout of Stage 1, and my weight is starting to go down again to what it was. Slowly. The scale is definitely the enemy right now (although for me it's been the enemy for 7 months).
  • chawntamarie
    Options
    I also recommend staying off the scale. Focus on your body - how it feels and how it looks. I had never taken before and after pictures but I did at the beginning and the end of stage 1. I didn't change in weight but I could definitely see more definition in my shoulders and back. I'm going to take progress pictures at the end of stage 3, stage 5 and stage 7.