weigh in on menopause

Options

Replies

• florabora
    florabora Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is what I found in my research in losing weight with menopause its just so darn hard! No matter what you doit seems like its not working or if you skip a day the rolls come back! I feel your pain. I do good to lose 10 then gain it. Arrrgh so unfair! Hang in there and don't gve up!!!!
  • debgilbert1955
    debgilbert1955 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So glad I'm not alone in my weight loss struggles! I had 80 pounds to lose...hired a trainer last July and lost weight at the rate of 1.5 pounds/week. That was until late last December and since then I haven't lost a single pound. I haven't changed at all the way I'm eating (I eat really heathy, mostly organic, low low carb, count every calorie) and I am still working out 6 days/week (3 times/week with the trainer and 3 times/week on my own) for an hour each day...so why won't the weight come off??? It's been very frustrating! While I am still losing inches and body fat, I'm getting bigger and bigger around my middle, which is a place I never had to worry about before. Any ideas????
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the 38 lbs and admire your tenacity! I had the same problem you have recently experienced. I also began going to a personal trainer 3 months ago and the weight loss (none) and measurements were very disappointed. So, a week or so ago I started eating "super foods" which are supposed to increase your metabolism, get rid of fat and help to lose weight. They are: water, green tea, soup, grapefruit, apples/pears (3/day), broccoli, low fat yogurt, lean turkey, oatmeal (steel cut), hot peppers and salmon/tuna. The first week I lost 6/10 of a pound -- but in my mind that is better than nothing! The waist is tough. What does your trainer say?
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Being healtly is becoming more important than weight loss. You must be in your 40s. I am pushing 60 and I am questionning whether it is even possible to lose those rolls. :smile:
  • debgilbert1955
    Options
    My trainer is truly puzzled! I've run off my daily food/exercise journals from My Fitness Pal. I've tried not eating all my calories and I've tried eating them all - no difference. I've tried cutting way back...no difference.
  • debgilbert1955
    Options
    Actually, I've 56. This has become so discouraging!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm 51 and have been going through pre-menopause for about year now. I started with mfp February 2012 because what I used to do to lose weight wasn't working for me anymore and so my daughter convinced me to join and it was the best thing I ever did as I lost 22 pounds. I went from 146 to 124 and I am amazed at how easy it was. The one thing I am doing that I never used to do is I am eating yogurt nearly every day and I heard this helps fight the body fat. I don't know if that is why I lost weight but it is the only truely different thing I'm doing except counting calories. My issues are that now that I have lost weight the hot flashes have come on big time with me waking up every night on fire. The hot flashes aren't so bad during the day but a night geez it gets hot. I was told to try black kohash (cohash) by a friend and so far I've taking it for more than a week and it hasn't helped at all. I have read somewhere in the form to try pure peppermint extract so that will be my next thing to try as I don't want to go on medication.

Hope we can all find some answers
  • rbriggs1122
    Options
    Replying to a few of you who asked for ideas about losing the middle. I've had some success with the Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack abs. I am a wimp so I only do (about) half of a session at a time, but I've lost at least 2 inches from my waist and 1/2 inch to 1 inch in my legs (yes--she works the legs too) since starting it in April and stopping at the end of May to move. I hate working abs, so doing half of a session is about all I can handle, but it seems to be helping! Imagine the results if I did the whole 30-40 minutes?!
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been using MFP for awhile now - on and off, and have been losing and gaining the same few lbs over and over.

I was pretty sure I was starting menopause with all the symptoms I was having, hot flashes, night sweats, irregular cycle, trouble sleeping, weight gain .....and on and on. So my Dr. finally confirmed it for me and when I told him I am trying very hard to lose weight his response was "you are perimenopausal and have hypothyroidism so good luck with that" talk about encouragement!

I am not giving up - I have finally realized I will not be as small as I would like to be. I am determined however to at least be at a healthy weight, and will do wihat I need to do to get there.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new doctor
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    That has crossed my mind, but where I am that is much easier said than done. I know way to many people that can't get a Dr. here and the only way they can get to see one is by going to a clinic or the ER.

I admit his bedside manner is aweful, but he does usually find out what is causing any symptoms I may have.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Well if your happy with him that is all that matters.
  • debgilbert1955
    Options
    Summerlove, I just read your post from March. I too have wondered if menopause symptoms "end," specifically the difficulty in losing weight. Does anyone know for sure???
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I think I may be at the end of menopause. I still get the occasional hot flash, usually when I'm upset. I haven't had night sweats in a while. I am wondering what happens when menopause is over. Does weight loss get easier? Since I started myfitnesspal, it hasn't been very difficult to lose the 14 pounds that I've lost so far. I wasn't able to do this before on WW or South Beach. I'm wondering if I'm losing weight because counting calories is more effective than those other diets or if I'm finally successful because I'm at the end of menopause.

Any theories? :blushing:

I think you successful due to mfp not because your at the end of menopause. I've been going through pre-menopause for at least a year now and once I started here the weight just fell off for me and I'm still only in pre-menopause so I think you lost weight from what your doing here on mfp
  • rjmatthews
    rjmatthews Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So, I have gained 15 pounds since February. I'm 46 and I am frustrated. I want to loose about 60 pounds before next July when my family is going on a cruise, but from reading all of these posts, I don't think this is going to be doable. Any suggestions for making it easier?
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. Started menopause at age 45 (8 years ago) and although my cycle stopped 3 years ago, I'm still experiencing hot flashes daily and the weight gain in the past 8 years has been unreal. I exercise and eat right, am a nutritionist by trade, and still can't fit the weight Just have to go for being healthy. I don't know if I'll ever be wearing those size 4 jeans again!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I am 51 and have had success with the weight coming off. The only truely different thing I have done since I started mfp is I eat more fruit and I eat yogurt twice a day. I don't know if that has any impact on it but I have read that eating yogurt helps burn the fat so if your not already doing that maybe give it a shot.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been in menopause or 8 years and the weight gain is unreal!!! I'm a nutritionist and have always exercised and even I put on weight that I couldn't have imagined. It's a struggle for sure. For me, I have to net 1000 calories a day so exercise is the key, smaller portions and definitely writing it down so you don't forget what you've eaten. That coupled with hot flashes and I'm about ready to scream! :)
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Geez 8 years is a long time. I started out at 1000 but it was because I was used to skipping meals. I have recently increased my calories to 1700 due to the fact I keep losing at 1500. I stayed at 1500 for awhile though I think I was at a platau. I first increased to 1600 and still lost so now I'm trying 1700 to see what is gonna happen. I feel very fortunate that I have been able to lose because lots of people on here are struggling due to menopause.
  • nikname182
    nikname182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    UGH! Eat nothing + exercise every day = gain weight, get hot flashes, and saggy skin! NICE! I'm so frustrated and just relieved to see I'm not the only one! (but really sorry that anyone else could be feeling the same way!).

And here we go again ... back to MyFitnessPal to ONCE AGAIN get serious, record everything I eat and drink, and record exercise. And I'll be GREAT at it for about two days, and then ... eh.

So tired of this cycle - help! I'm about ready to buy that pack of cigarettes that used to fulfill all that hand-to-mouth activity in those days when I weighed 125!