Cardio & Weights - burned the same calories!?!

Options
Allegi32
Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
So I have done Workouts 1 & 2 and Cardio 1. I burned 267, 281, and 273 calories, respectively. Shouldn't I have burned more calories doing the Cardio DVD than the weights?

I use a Polar heart rate monitor to measure calories burned.

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience...my calorie burn is between 325-365 for W1, W2 and C1. I have more to lose than you, so that's probably why I have a higher burn. The key is that you're keeping your heartrate up with both workouts, just in a little different way (one's more low impact and the other higher impact). I use a Polar F6.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. My heart rate stays high through lunges and stuff so I burn the same in the "strength" workouts and the cardio ones. :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I recently increased my weights on the strength training so I noticed yesterday I burned way more doing WK 2 than I usually do and way more than I do in Cardio 1.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Be cautious on how many calories you really burn. I noticed the heart rate monitor was not as accurate as the bodybugg, which tracks calories. The heart rate monitor seems to over estimate how many calories we are actually burning. Just keep that in mind.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    wow, glad to know everyone else is having a similar experience too. i feel like the cardio is harder (well especially cardio 2), but i sometimes burn less than the regular workouts. psh.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar results - but also keep in mind that Cardio 1 is about 10 minutes shorter than the Workouts.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mine are all pretty much the same or close to it. I think workout 3 I burned in the 320s, workout 4 I burn 320-330, and Cardio 1 I burn right around 300.

If I see my calories burned dropping I add heavier weights the next time. I am also using the Polar FT7 and updating my weight every week when I weigh in to get the correct calorie burn number.
  • luoool
    luoool Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't have HRM but i have bodymedia armband I burn 125 cal for w1, 160 w2, an 244 cal for cardio 1, and my numbers are all the same through out the whole two weeks , I see you guys with all the crazy numbers and I get disappointed.

I guess the body media is more accurate coz I know when I burn calories and when i'm not
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't have HRM but i have bodymedia armband I burn 125 cal for w1, 160 w2, an 244 cal for cardio 1, and my numbers are all the same through out the whole two weeks , I see you guys with all the crazy numbers and I get disappointed.

I guess the body media is more accurate coz I know when I burn calories and when i'm not

I also have a body media and it's not as high as those reporting from the HRM. I hope people take that into consideration that it's not very accurate. I wouldn't want people to over estimate.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think that's the point. I sweat a lot more during the strength workouts than the cardio. But I hear cardio 2 is insane, so that may change :)
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Cardio 2 is way harder and there are a lot of jumping things going on. I can't do most of it just for that reason. :huh:
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No wonder I haven't lost any weight! I have a HRM and probably have been over estimating my calorie burn a bunch (it usually tells me I burn 300+. Anyone else here 165+? I know weight and height also affect burn so if you guys are lighter it might be why you are burning less too?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    No wonder I haven't lost any weight! I have a HRM and probably have been over estimating my calorie burn a bunch (it usually tells me I burn 300+. Anyone else here 165+? I know weight and height also affect burn so if you guys are lighter it might be why you are burning less too?

I'm 161 now and I burn about 250-300 per workout. Probably about 250 for 1 and 2 and 275-300 for workouts 3 and 4 and cardio 1 and cardio 2.
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Okay, so maybe I'm not too off. I've been fluctuating between 165-168 and I usually burn 330+ on the workouts.
  • luoool
    luoool Posts: 9
    Options
    I weigh 169-170 and 5 3'' foot
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I am 5'0", 205 pds, age 51 and burn an average of 150 for all the workouts. I wear a Polar FT7 HRM.

Don't forget it's only THIRTY minutes or less for the workouts!