Hyperthyroidism help

Options
LottieLou13
LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
So, I was diagnosed a month ago by my GP with hyperthyroidism and have been on beta blocker for this last months to lower my heart rate. This is while I wait for an appt with an endocrinologist
I originally went to the GP's thinking I had IBS. Turns out I have although I have gained a bit of weight (been about this size for 6 years), tired all the time, just exhausted, diarrhea...the list goes on I have hyperthyroidism. My GP was a bit taken back and ended up having the blood test done 3 times because my symptoms seemed to be pointing towards hypo.
Weird.
Basically, I'm doing wight watchers because I'm fed up with being this size and want to feel happier in my own skin. I just really want to know if things get easier with hyper and losing weight? I'm worried in case I put back on any hard earned loss once I get started on meds. I truly find it so so hard to lose weight and each time I talk about my hyper I have to check that it is that version I have because everything seems to point to hypo :/
I'm sick and tired of the constant tinnitus in my left ear, the feeling that my heart is pounding out of my chest (like in the cartoons) and the palpitations (these are the things that remind me that I am hyper and not hypo).
Sorry for the long post, this is the first time I've told anyone about all this or written it down

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So, I was diagnosed a month ago by my GP with hyperthyroidism and have been on beta blocker for this last months to lower my heart rate. This is while I wait for an appt with an endocrinologist
    I originally went to the GP's thinking I had IBS. Turns out I have although I have gained a bit of weight (been about this size for 6 years), tired all the time, just exhausted, diarrhea...the list goes on I have hyperthyroidism. My GP was a bit taken back and ended up having the blood test done 3 times because my symptoms seemed to be pointing towards hypo.
    Weird.
    Basically, I'm doing wight watchers because I'm fed up with being this size and want to feel happier in my own skin. I just really want to know if things get easier with hyper and losing weight? I'm worried in case I put back on any hard earned loss once I get started on meds. I truly find it so so hard to lose weight and each time I talk about my hyper I have to check that it is that version I have because everything seems to point to hypo :/
    I'm sick and tired of the constant tinnitus in my left ear, the feeling that my heart is pounding out of my chest (like in the cartoons) and the palpitations (these are the things that remind me that I am hyper and not hypo).
    Sorry for the long post, this is the first time I've told anyone about all this or written it down

I don't know much about hyperthyroidism -- I am hypo -- but I've had chronic tinnitus in my right ear for many years - I always thought it was my ears and ENTs said nerve damage, but I've recently connected it to my hypo. I also have chronic vertigo and when my TSH goes high, the vertigo kicks in and my blood pressure drops.

So, I think these symptoms are just "thyroid" related and not hypo or hyper -- I have heard of hyper people that can't lose weight -- there's a few on this forum who hopefully can give you some advice.

I hope you feel better soon!
    Terri
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Anyone experience the constant headache for a week or more?? I'm on day 6 and no matter what I do it wont go away....last night I really considered downing some wine until it stopped but I didn't.....help :(
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm hyperthyroid. Have Graves disease. When I got on the meds, I did put on 10 lbs right away, but I also felt better and slept better. Now that I am on a consistent medicine (methimizole; I don't take beta blockers) my thyroid SHOULD be normal but I am still finding it very difficult to lose weight. I've lost some, and finally my clothes fit again but it is super slow going. I should add I am quite active and eat pretty healthily; I'm not good at going hungry. Good luck to you.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Anyone experience the constant headache for a week or more?? I'm on day 6 and no matter what I do it wont go away....last night I really considered downing some wine until it stopped but I didn't.....help :(

By any chance, does your doctor ever tell you your blood pressure is high or too low? I think hypothyroidism usually causes low blood pressure and hyperthyroidism causes high blood pressure -- but I am the opposite. I have hypo/hashi and chronic hbp. When I have blood pressure issues, I have unrelenting headaches for days - sometimes accompanied by vertigo, nausea, cold sweats, etc. Now that my thyroid levels are starting to even out, I've had to go to 1/2 my bp meds -- because it was dropping too low and making me dizzy.

Hypothyroidism can also push up your cholesterol (more so than what you eat!!) and can also elevate your A1C levels even if you eliminate sugars.

Most local pharmacies have a blood pressure machine -- you might want to check it out. My bp this morning was 98/67 which is too low for me (good for some!!) --- the top number should be under 130 and the bottom number should be under 90. 130/90 would be considered borderline hbp. Years ago before I was diagnosed with hypo, I had untreated high blood pressure -- doctors were taking my bp and it was 162/98 and they didn't tell me I had hbp!! One day it went up to 240/150 -- I ended up in the hospital on nitro-glycerin drip -- that's how I found out I had high blood pressure!!

Also, taking anti-histamines for sinus or allergies will cause your bp to go up!!

Just some thoughts--
    Terri
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Weird.

This was my experience as well. I had Grave's, but I had gained weight, felt depressed, and was tired/sleepy all the time. My only hyper symptoms were related to my heart (my resting pulse was insanely high - like 110). When I was first diagnosed, I also suffered pretty constant migraines. I honestly just kinda dealt with them, used NSAIDs, etc. However, your medication should help. If it's not, then the meds might not be working. That is what happened with me, and I had to have thyroid ablation.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with Grave's Disease at the end of last year. My endocrinologist started me on a beta blocker as well as 20mg daily of Methimazole. I gained 15lbs in one month. He wasn't surprised. He took me off the beta blocker and lowered my meds to 12.5mg daily. I feel better, but I've only lost 5 of those 15lbs I gained. I've been eating relatively well and I would consider myself "lightly active".

My symptoms were similar to yours, heart palpitations, constant exhaustion, headaches, excessive sweating & hand tremors...I was already obese, but constantly hungry, never feeling satisfied (like my stomach would cramp & growl from hunger...). I found it very very difficult to lose any weight. That's why I went to the doc to begin with. They also were expecting me to be hypo and were shocked to see I was hyper. They think my first pregnancy triggered it.

When I was on the 20mg I was feeling so much better. Well rested, no crazy heart issues, rarely sweating unless my activity called for it (omg, I felt NORMAL). My appetite was decreased and it was great. The gaining weight part was not, however. Now that I'm 12.5mg I'm getting constant headaches, my appetite fluctuates, I want to nap again, my sweating has returned (but not to it's full force). I go back in a couple weeks for more blood work to see if they need to regulate my meds. My endo is pushing for the radioactive iodine treatment.

I don't have any advice for you, but I want you to know that I definitely sympathize with you. I can understand where you're coming from and what your fears are about gaining weight on the meds. I'm going to send you a friend request - maybe we can work together. :)
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had some of your symptoms...palpitations, weight gain, tiredness and the doc and I thought I had hypo, after blood work it turned out I was hyper. So when your hyper the doc wants to know why..took a lot of tests and it turned out i have Hashimoto's thyroiditis( auto-immune disease which attacks your thyroid causing you to be hypo)....sometimes your thyroid is hyper but not for too long and I couldnt even tell the difference when mine changed! So is your doc going to order more tests? make he does ALL the tests like the 2 antibodies that usually confirm Hashimoto's. I also sweat a lot and am still hot most of the time I feel hungry or like Im craving something. yesterday I decide to do a raw foods diet, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and raw honey ...Im starting off slow .....The meds he will give you wont help much so you have to heal yourself with exercise and a clean(er) diet. But I really hope you get answers and feel better soon! since everything points to hypo, like me I think you may want to ask the doc about testing for Hashimotos'....