I think I hate my job now

Options
krazyforyou
krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
Hi, I'm Karen and new to this group. I've been a nurse for 12 years, first 10 years on Med-Surg and this last two on Progressive Cardiac. I'm having a very difficult time now because my unit has been through some big changes these last few monthes. Our unit manager is now only over Icu/Micu and we have a new manager. That coupled with a new Director also. Well about a month ago our charge nurse was suddenly not our charge nurse any more. One of the other nurses is now charge. This makes for a tension fill work environment. Hell I'm no longer sure I even have a job every time I go to work. Its been very difficult to try to find the positive. My new charge nurse is very direct, to the point of rudeness. She has a bad habit of talking down to me and micromanaging me. Last Sat I had had enough and spoke with her about it directly. The conversation went OK, but niw tommorrow I've been called to a meeting with the new director. Cant be good. I have been activly looking for a diffrent job but no luxk yet. Anyways thanks for listening to me.

Replies

• obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your situation, good luck with the meeting and the job search. Nursing is a stressful enough career, but bad management and administrative staff make it 1000s of times worse.
  • karlakk
    karlakk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Totally know how you feel, my last job I had a power hungry office manager. It came to a head & I told her off & walked out that day. I've found out that it's still the same in that practice, & I'm glad I left. I agree that nursing is stressful enough without all the extra drama. I hope you find something else to take place of this job & make you happy.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nurses have power! Meet with charge and unit director. If you are in a Magnet hospital, go to the nursing councils within the hospital. Go to HR for assistance. Nurses, as a whole, have let our power be taken away. Unless we stand up for our profession, our education, our knowledge, the healthcare environment will continue to pass us by. I am not talking union.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Yikes, sounds like maybe new nurse in charge is power tripping...
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I;m sorry. The place I work isn't union and what they say and do is sometimes different. Usually people are never let go for being late, med errors etc but when they do let someone go its usually high up and blindsided. I am always feeling I am going to be let go even though it isn't warranted. Working in a environment that isn't cohesive can be hard. Good luck
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that work has gotten so stressful. I like what one person said that nursing is stressful enough without extra drama. I hope things have gotten better since then or else I hope that you found somewhere that you enjoy working and enjoy the people you work with!
  • janfinnegan
    janfinnegan Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm dealing with a crappy manager myself right now. But I do really like the work that I do and the team that I am on as a whole - so i just keep saying to myself that I am only responsible for my actions and reactions and no one else's That helps me a little when she treats me poorly - but I don't know how long I can stick with it either. I guess my biggest thing is I don't want to burn any bridges and I want to be proud of how I handle things even if she has bad behavior. I'm not sure if this helps - but just remember you are only responsible for you in this scenario. Hopefully, no matter which way things go you'll come out smelling like roses!
  • janfinnegan
    janfinnegan Posts: 17
    Options
    ugh - tried to respond to a different thread in this message and now it won't let me delete it - sorry
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been through something similar, with the condescension and micromanaging. It was a toxic environment and after I had my kids and used my maternity leave, I left. So did most of the rest of the staff. Sometimes it's the only way.
  • nurseinthenorth
    nurseinthenorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try a new unit or area. Change is good.