Equipped Deadlift

Options
I've been powerlifting for 3 years now and this is the first year I've tried deadlifting with a suit. I use a conventional stance because I just can't get past the awkwardness of Sumo style. I can really tell that the suit makes picking the weight up almost effortless, but the problem I'm having is locking out at the top. I get it up to my thighs, but no matter how hard I try to drive my hips forward to stand fully erect, I can't seem to do it. It's like the suit is preventing me from getting the range of motion I need in order to complete the lift. I'm competing at collegiate nationals in April and I was hoping to use the suit since deadlift is really hit or miss for me, depending on the day. Some days I can pull 270lbs raw, some days I can budge over 255lbs. Any suggestions or tips for getting that damn lockout?

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've been powerlifting for 3 years now and this is the first year I've tried deadlifting with a suit. I use a conventional stance because I just can't get past the awkwardness of Sumo style. I can really tell that the suit makes picking the weight up almost effortless, but the problem I'm having is locking out at the top. I get it up to my thighs, but no matter how hard I try to drive my hips forward to stand fully erect, I can't seem to do it. It's like the suit is preventing me from getting the range of motion I need in order to complete the lift. I'm competing at collegiate nationals in April and I was hoping to use the suit since deadlift is really hit or miss for me, depending on the day. Some days I can pull 270lbs raw, some days I can budge over 255lbs. Any suggestions or tips for getting that damn lockout?

Your last word is the answer "Lockout". I use to use power lockouts to increase strength. I used a power rack with the pins set a few inches from my lockout. Whether it was squats, bench or deads and I would use twice my max lift. I've been out of it for 12 years and started back in December. Its not a quick fix but it will do the job. Anytime you are getting stuck on part of the lift you have to strengthen that part. Chains work for some but I use the lockouts, try googling rack lockouts. I found a guy that did them back in the 60's and 70's using planks. PM me with any questions.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The suit isn't preventing this. My problem with the dead is that if I couldn't get it off the ground, it wasn't going anywhere. Usually if I can start the lift, I could finish it.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    She isn't able to finish the lockout then she should work that section of the lift with heavier weight. Rack lockouts helped me in the past and now that I have started back I'm using them again.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    She isn't able to finish the lockout then she should work that section of the lift with heavier weight. Rack lockouts helped me in the past and now that I have started back I'm using them again.

Spot on bro
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    .....with the suit on too.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I've never trained with the suit on. Unless it was the few last training sessions right before the meet.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    But if she is having problems with the suit then train a couple times with it. Get use to it and overcome what is causing this problem. I am a raw lifter, not to say I wouldn't use the equipment. I bought a Titan Super Ram to train with some. I'm kinda of excited to use it, but I'm not ready yet. Maybe mid summer. If she is new to the suit use it until you get use to it. The meet is not the place to break in a new suit or its not a place to learn how to use one.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've never trained with the suit on. Unless it was the few last training sessions right before the meet.

I thought max effort (ME) days are always equipped if one is planning on competing equipped.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I thought max effort (ME) days are always equipped if one is planning on competing equipped.

Nope they do a lot of raw stuff too, they'll use bands and what not but won't have gear on.

to the OP: work on the top of your deadlift, and work on speed pulls. If you can keep your speed up, you should be able to get through the sticking point.