What do you do? Tell us about you!

Options
Mr_Cape219
Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
What do you do and how long do you stay there? I work reception at my local hospital in Chino, Ca. My hours are M-F from 6:00am - 2:30pm. I get out in the middle of the afternoon, so I should have the energy to go be active, truth is I dont :/ We get colorful people that come in to the hospital, so I am mentally drained by the end of it all. The funny thing is, working out or doing something active actually gives you mental stamina and refreshes your mind. You would expect laying down to do that, but working out does it more effectively. Anywho, I deffinately need to start workin out, being a better person, I mean, I have the time for it dont I?

Replies

• alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    HI! My name is Allison and I am a receptionist at a company in Minneapolis. I work 8:15 - 4:45 Monday - Friday and sit most of the day. Lately, I have been walking at lunch with a coworker which helps a bit, but for the most part I am sedentary during the day. I try to scrounge up the energy to work out after I get home but have found that getting up in the a.m. before work and working out then seems to work much better for me. I agree Anthony, that customer service positions can be mentally draining! Being nice all day takes a lot out of me! :-)

Great group! Have a wonderful day!
  • angob1
    angob1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi i work in customer service and i do try to walk to work on nice days and I do some walking at lunch. I use to do Zumba twice a day but now that I am in school full time I can only do it in the mornings. I need to find time to get more work outs in.:blushing:
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hallo Everybody!

My name is Steph and I work as an administrative assistant in an annuities brokerage firm from 6:45 until 3 or 4. (Varies due to a very kind or grumpy boss, it changes constantly) Our office building is a gem. It has a full gym and locker room in the bowels of the building. Except for most of last week and M & T of this week, working out in the middle of the day saves me from a complete mental breakdown. This is a family business, so working with my father is both stressful and worrying. (His health is steadily declining due to stress) Just getting out of the office for an hour and listening to some ridiculous pop-y or happy music and reading a terrible horror books does wonders for my mood. Then back to the grind of talking (read: yelling) to half-deaf 90 year olds on the phone and telling them to turn down their radio/tv so they can hear me. Fun had by all!

Nice to know that most people in the customer service industry are a bit exhausted by dealing with people as I am. :happy:
  • Chng4Me
    Chng4Me Posts: 17
    Options
    Customer service can definitely be mentally draining. As a pharmacy tech I'm not necessarily sedentary but when I'm at that drop off window, boy can things get colorful. It's hard to keep a smile on your face when people are yelling at you or worse, cursing at you. Hours vary so I try to exercise when I get home, but most times all I want to do is crawl in bed or vegetate on the couch. Definitely need some new ideas on getting a move on :)
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Hallo Everybody!

My name is Steph and I work as an administrative assistant in an annuities brokerage firm from 6:45 until 3 or 4. (Varies due to a very kind or grumpy boss, it changes constantly) Our office building is a gem. It has a full gym and locker room in the bowels of the building. Except for most of last week and M & T of this week, working out in the middle of the day saves me from a complete mental breakdown. This is a family business, so working with my father is both stressful and worrying. (His health is steadily declining due to stress) Just getting out of the office for an hour and listening to some ridiculous pop-y or happy music and reading a terrible horror books does wonders for my mood. Then back to the grind of talking (read: yelling) to half-deaf 90 year olds on the phone and telling them to turn down their radio/tv so they can hear me. Fun had by all!

Nice to know that most people in the customer service industry are a bit exhausted by dealing with people as I am. :happy:

ah customer service.. Working for customer service has givin me an outlook on life. You bet whenever I go somewhere and the receptionist is helping me out, trying to deal with others, and then apologizing for taking so long I tell them it is waaay okay. I have become so paitent when dealing with people I found. My gf asks me how I can be so, I tell her "We support our own"
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options

ah customer service.. Working for customer service has givin me an outlook on life. You bet whenever I go somewhere and the receptionist is helping me out, trying to deal with others, and then apologizing for taking so long I tell them it is waaay okay. I have become so paitent when dealing with people I found. My gf asks me how I can be so, I tell her "We support our own"

I totally do the same thing! Doesn't matter if it is on the phone, front desk or waitress/bartender, I always treat them the way I'd want to be treated. Rock on for paying it forward Anthony! The nice people always shine like stars in an otherwise poop covered dark day in the cust. serv. industry.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My name is Pris and I have been in customer service 1984. Yes, I'm old as well as heavy. :) Right now I am on a 4 month temp job at Measured Progress for Kelly Services. M-F 8-4 They actually have a beautiful campus. I try to go out on my lunch break when I am motivated to do so. They have a great exercise room too but it's off limits to Temps. :( I really do love working here though!!!
  • sck2008
    sck2008 Posts: 79
    Options
    Hello! My name is Sylvia and I work for a local Non-union electrical Contractor in Las Vegas. I have been the office manager for 5 years! I went from an active job (cleaning houses) to this. I then got preggers and was diagnosed with PCOS so its even HARDER to lose weight. Im hoping to make lots of friends to help each other achieve our goals!
  • Juggie86
    Juggie86 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm Julie, 25, living in Kansas. I work as a Contract Admin for an aircraft company. I love my job! BUT... It is completely computer dependent so I sit in an office chair all day! Mon- Fri 8am - 5pm. And only 30 min lunch so no workout there. I try to come home and cook, eat, and head to the gym by 6:00. Of course it is in the town over so I dont even get home until 8ish. And 2 kids in bed by 9.
    Very busy lifestyle now. I have only been doing this about a year. Feel like I never get to see my kids which is horrible guilt, but I am making myself a better me so we can at least do family stuff on the weekends.
    Hopefully there are people here that can relate!
    I'd love to hear from others that can relate!
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!! I am an administrative asst. for a government agency and I sit from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30. My best workouts are between 5:00 and 5:30a.m. before my kids get up. (Me time) Their activities, homework, church, etc., take up most evenings. And on occasion when I HAVE to work out in the evenings with all the kid interruptions, it is harder because of being drained from working with the public.
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Aimee. I'm 25 and living in southeast Michigan. I am a dispatcher for a car hauling company that hauls cars for chrysler. I am here Monday - Friday 7 am to 3 pm. I have to admit I actually like my job on most days! Probably since I grew up around this kind of stuff.
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Blanche, I work in HR and sit almost all day, now that it is getting warmer out I'll go for a short walk during my lunch & then try to walk around at least every hour to stretch my legs.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am Client Services Assistant for 2 busy Financial Rep's. 90% of my job is on the computer however I am fortunate in that they encourage me to take 15's and my 1/2 hr lunch. Usually here 8-4:30. I get up and walk around at LEAST every hour for about 2/3 minutes. Even if it's just pacing around in my office. On days it's nice out I walk on my 15's, if it's gross out I did bring in a jumprope and will go down in the spare office and try to do that or run in place or whatever I can to get my heart rate up a bit through out the day. I also use a ear piece for the phone, which makes it easier to stand and stretch a bit as well. I find it very hard to make me time at the end of the day, the kid's somehow seem to have something going on or need to be fed etc.. So if I get in another 1/2 walk or whatever I feel pretty good.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Debbie and I'm an accountant for a law firm. Sitting at a computer all day is starting to kill my back so I try to get up and strech more. I look forward to sharing ideas and tips to get us all moving more.
  • Phenom83
    Phenom83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm an administrative assistant at a law firm. I spend aboput most of my day sitting down at a computer.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm an accountant for a coal mine company in Illinois. I've been working for them since graduating college in 2000. Love my job, but not the sedentary nature of it!
  • chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Chris. I am a full time student and I work 4 days a week as an Office Manager for a disaster restoration company in Southwest Michigan. I really like my job. It is very flexible with my school and kids. I have 2 boys, my youngest is 7 and my oldest will be 9 in April. I sit down so much of my time. I am getting better but it has been an almost 5 month battle to do it.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi. My name is Louise and I am an accounting clerk. I get so lazy, i just sit here on my breaks and at lunch. I need to get more motivated!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sr. Business Analyst for a large retailer. I was a web content consultant before this. So my workday involves a lot of time spent at the computer. However, I break it up because I drink tons of water and green tea at work. So I make frequent trips to "pay the water bill". I also get up to talk to people instead of emailing, when possible. I take the stairs when I can. Really trying to improve my health overall. My weight has steadily climbed since I had my last child and with the stresses of work. I've gained 50 lbs over the last 14 years. But I'm determined to lose the weight.
  • denisekh88
    Options
    Hi y'all...my name is Denise and I'm from Kentucky...I work for a non profit agency that helps parents and families. I am a supervisor so most of my day is spent sitting in front of my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions on exercises to do behind a desk?