Hey Everyone!

Options
2»

Replies

• Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a true pear - a size 18/20 on the bottom, and a size 12 top. Forget shopping for pants - imagine how hard it is for me to find 1 dress that fits both my top & bottom.

For pants, I recommend the JC Penny "curvy" cuts - but that's just in trousers/work pants. They come in petite, regular & tall, the price is good and I find that they last for years. That's really all I've worn to work for the past 15 years. But for blue jeans, the only blue jeans that JC Penny has that fit are the Gloria Vanderbuilt "Amanda" ones, and people tell me that those are unstylish mom jeans.

Jones NY also has pants, and jeans, both long & capri, with a smaller waist/larger hip, but you can't tell from the label - just have to order them and return what doesn't fit, or try the Jones NY outlets.

Anyone here who knows where to find a curvy fashionable pair of jeans in size 18 - please post!

The tailor is a good idea. For those of you who know someone with a sewing machine, here's a cheap quick fix. Look at the back of one of your pairs of pants. Start at the waist, above each butt cheek. See a little seam that starts at the waist, and goes down a few inches & stops? That's a "dart," Turn your pants inside out, fold the dart in just a little bigger, and run a seam down it with the sewing machine. Do this equally on each of the 2 darts. Now you have pants with a smaller waist but same size hip & theighs. If your new stitches are an inch away from the fold you made in the fabric, then you'll have a new waistband that's 4 inches small - keep this in mind, because you should probably start out with 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the fold and the line of stitches. You can always make a 2nd line of stitches if the pants are still too big or you're still losing weight. You can ultimately make the waist 2 sizes smaller - like you can take a size 14 pair of pants and turn them into a size 10 waist with size 14 hips. You can't go any farther than that, though, because the pants proportions will start looking really wierd. I have done this on my own pants (but I am a pretty good sewer). Remember to use matching thread and test the sewing machine tension on a fabric scrap 1st.

This also works with skirts.

You can always have a tailor stich a strip of elastic into the back of your pant's waists. It will show on the inside - it's way too much work to hide the elastic once the pants are already sewn at the factory - but it can at least keep people from being able to see down into your pants! You can get elastic in black, too, to make it less noticible.
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! this group is amazing! it's hard for me (and you all) to just find jeans that fit. And then your top is so small. i feel like i'm dressing for two different people.

But my personal opinion, we have the best body shape!
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    Options
    Hi, another pear here!

I've lost more than 50 pounds in the last year and decided to take some measurements the other night. I lost a lot of inches EXCEPT in my thighs and calves. Haven't lost any size at all there! My legs have always been a problem for me. Embarassing to show them so I never do. Wish there was a solution for it that didn't involve expensive surgery!
  • tortzblue
    tortzblue Posts: 19 Member
    Options

For those of you who know someone with a sewing machine, here's a cheap quick fix. Look at the back of one of your pairs of pants. Start at the waist, above each butt cheek. See a little seam that starts at the waist, and goes down a few inches & stops? That's a "dart," Turn your pants inside out, fold the dart in just a little bigger, and run a seam down it with the sewing machine. Do this equally on each of the 2 darts. Now you have pants with a smaller waist but same size hip & theighs. If your new stitches are an inch away from the fold you made in the fabric, then you'll have a new waistband that's 4 inches small - keep this in mind, because you should probably start out with 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the fold and the line of stitches. You can always make a 2nd line of stitches if the pants are still too big or you're still losing weight. You can ultimately make the waist 2 sizes smaller - like you can take a size 14 pair of pants and turn them into a size 10 waist with size 14 hips.

Tried this but waist with zip open is now too small to go over butt! ARGH! =(
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thought id BUMP this to see if there are still any pear shapes out there or whether they have all slimmed down to nothing lol
  • kadams0026
    Options
    Hello,

I found a great brand of jeans that I love. They are called American Rag jeans, and they are the curvy boot style. I found them at Macy's for about $40. I loved the way they fit my hips and thighs without gaping in the back or being to long in the crotch. I do not fit in the ones I have anymore, but I plan on buying some more when I get back stateside again. They are plain jeans with a darker wash that tends to be more flattering on pear shapes so I hope you guys like them.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I am around here too would love to get this group up and running more.

For jeans I have a few.

Ann Taylor Curvy Trouser / Bootcut
    Old Navy Dreamer (there curvy line)

I am right now 31 wait, 48 hips, 28 thigh and I fit a 14 in both of those brands tight, 16 is very loose.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Just joined the group, and I know it's not super active, but I figured I'd throw a post in there anyway.

I know people like to share their size, so where I was in measurements at the beginning of the month was:
    Height: 5'8.5"
    Weight: 158
    Bust: 36
    Waist: 29
    Low Waist: 33
    Hips: 43
    Thighs: 25
    Calves: 16

Also, a note to the people trying to find pants, I almost only find success with wide leg trousers. Because they allow so much cushion in the cut of the legs, you can actually find waists that are closer to your actual size with less gapping! I've had success with Banana Republic jeans (you can find them on sale sometimes for as low as $10-$30.) I've also found some work trousers at Express and New York & Company on occasion.

As for exercises, I do a LOT of running, but have recently added a butt/thigh specific aerobic workout 2-4 times per week to see if I can get specific toning in that area. I must admit, I think it's starting to work! I'll check back in in a couple weeks and let everyone know how it went. :)

Much love to everyone!