Rec for starting out if c25k seems to easy?

Options
cincymomof3
cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
Does anyone have a way to start out if c25k seems to easy? I read another runner say start with 1/2 mile and increase it a 1/2 mi each week? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Have you started out c25k?

because if you are finding it too easy, there is nothing stopping you from starting further into the program.

here is an intermediate 5km training program https://neutrinodata.s3.amazonaws.com/starttofinish/userimages/RM2012_5kIntermediate.pdf
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I did C25K all the way through week 7 and then spent 3 months not running. Once the weather got nice again I decided I'd try my running shoes out again, see how much I'd lost from not running so long. I surprised myself by being pretty much right where I left off, even with 3 months of not hitting the pavement! It was at that point that I decided to follow my OWN program. C25K is great to get you running, but if you are finding it too easy maybe you should set your own running goals? I use my Runkeeper and Zombies, Run! apps for my iPhone. I never know how far I'm going to run when I get out there, I just kind of go with the flow :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    In the past, I didn't run much over the winter (I used to think it was too cold...now I just do it regardless of weather), and when I'd start up again in the spring c25k felt too easy but it's not like I could just get out there and run 3 miles straight. So I used to "start" the program around week 4 or 5. I think it's the week of running 8, resting 2...something like that. I figured I'd already paid for the app, might as well keep using it. So find a week that's a little challenging and give it a try!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Personally I would stick with the plan even if the first few weeks seem easy to you. They will get progressively harder and if you accidently overdo it, you risk getting discouraged and ending it early. I thought the first couple weeks were easy myself but glad I followed it to plan. (This has been a few years ago and now I am training for a full marathon)
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was kind of in the same boat as scarlettdawn. I stopped running for a bit and didn't want to start at the beginning. I didn't have the patience for that and honestly needed a sense of accomplishement. I just set out and ran a full 5K but slowed my pace down till I was comfortable running that distance. I started that 3-4 weeks ago and now run 3-4 times a week with distances 2-4 miles at a time.