Wanting to see if I am doing this right..

Options
Raynn1
Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
Im fairly new to MFP, but I am a weight watchers member and have been using this site as a way to compare back to my Points and help me to get another perspective on my food intake.
Anyways, I have been struggling over the past few months with weight loss. Overall I have lost about 9 pounds in about 10 weeks, which looks pretty good. But the breakdown of my weeks has been a 3 pound loss followed by a gain or a slight loss for a couple of weeks and then a few weeks later another 3 pound drop. That is until this last 3 or so week cycle, where I have been basically up and down with the same pound or two.

I am 236, 5 foot 7 and I run three times a week for 45 mins, I attend a Pump Class and a Step class weekly, so 5 days a week of exercise. I have been wondering for a while now whether I have been eating enough or not. This also relates back to Weight watchers in that I have hardly ever dipped into my weekly points or my earned Activity points. I took my tracker on WW and plugged in about 4 or so days in here to see how the points related to the cals, and they matched up pretty closely to what I am currently eating (1530)

I started off by picking a 1.5 pound a week weight loss in MFP which gave me 1530 cals. I have been eating my exercise cals as well, which have been around 400-700 per day (according to MFP's log) My first full week logging in here I followed this general plan and I had a 1.4 pound gain... Not what I was hoping for of course.

So I started reading around and I see a lot of advice about eating your BMR or TDEE stuff? So I started playing around with those calculations..

So if I understand this right, my BMR is 1809 (MFPs calculator) and my TDEE(??) is 1809x1.5(fairly active?) = 2803
So I should be eating more than 1809 cals and less than 2803?

So am I eating enough at 1530+400/600 = 1900/2100? or Should I be sitting around 1800 cals THEN additional exercise cals on top of that??

Based on what my WW tracker shows over the past 4 weeks, plus what I have now learned about things in MFP, I have basically been sitting around the 1500 cal mark for this 4 week period of time and my weight has been playing with the same pound.

Should I be increasing my cals up more? How much? Honestly Im frustrated that Im doing everything "right" so to speak, but nothing seems to be happening. Not to mention my inches have not changed at all, even after a total 22 pound loss over the past 6 months. I started running 10 weeks ago and graduated from the C25K program and I was expecting the weight to just fall off, but alas, that is not the case:)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

Replies

• Raynn1
    Options
    Bump. No help?
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Sounds like you've got it, the key is not go below your BMR but how you choose to approach that is up to you. Personally I'm not doing a lot of cardio right now (no big burns) so I've just picked a steady number based on my BMR and TDEE, but when I add back in more cardio I will probably need factor in eating those back to be sure I don't go under.

I was running like crazy (5-6 times a week) and nothing else and didn't lose any weight for almost a year! I definitely hear you on how frustrating that it and its part of why I decided to switch both my calories and my workout routine. I was totally stuck in that burn more, eat less mentality.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump. No help?

Hi Raynn

I'm so sorry I don't know how I missed your topic. Thought I did ok keeping up while on vacay...sorry:-(

Ok suggest eating menus 15% from your TDEE daily . You will only need to eat extra cals iif you burn more than 600 cals. Just make sure to net your bmr on high cardio days.

I cut back on cardio to lift heavy. The lifting is what is giving me the toned look I want.

Hope this helps.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    So 15% less of 2800 is about 2383? So I should be eating around there? And no less than my BMR of 1809, correct?

Dang, Im going to have to learn to eat more.. :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So 15% less of 2800 is about 2383? So I should be eating around there? And no less than my BMR of 1809, correct?

Dang, Im going to have to learn to eat more.. :)

Lol, it does get easier. I drink protein shakes to help get it in. Change mfp macros to 40 carb 30 fat and prot, break meals up into 6 small ones. Make sure to get in a shake after workout. I build my menu in the morning to try to get macros all in.

If you want to ease into it try starting out with 2100 then only eat back if you burn over 300. I changed my mfp goal setting to the new value and then watch my homepage for net cals. As long as it is over bmr...yay!

Keep up posted Raynn.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Lol, easing into it is going to be hard..
    Ill up my cal so its close to the 2100 mark then and see what happens. This week Im already half through so I dont know if it will make much of a difference starting 4 days in?

just kind of scary I guess. It is just a lot of food and Im certainly not used to that at all!
    Ill keep you all posted as to how things go.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Just a bit of an update on me for anyone who cares:)

Two weeks ago I increased my cals to 1530 and ate my exercise cals back, so I was eating between 1700-2000 cals. I had a 1.4 pound gain.
    This last week I continued along, making sure to eat all my exercise cals back and didn't worry if I was over that 1530 mark on the days I didn't exercise. I had a 2.4 pound loss this week.

While I am still not eating at my BMR I am working to increase myself there over the next few weeks. This week I set my target for about 1700 cals and will continue to eat back my exercise cals.

I'm still struggling with the mental issues with this way of eating and losing, and I still worry about gaining back weight by eating more, but I am working on it. I am hoping that my metabolism is resetting itself and I can finally have consistent losses and see the inches finally start to come off again.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Just a bit of an update on me for anyone who cares:)

Two weeks ago I increased my cals to 1530 and ate my exercise cals back, so I was eating between 1700-2000 cals. I had a 1.4 pound gain.
    This last week I continued along, making sure to eat all my exercise cals back and didn't worry if I was over that 1530 mark on the days I didn't exercise. I had a 2.4 pound loss this week.

While I am still not eating at my BMR I am working to increase myself there over the next few weeks. This week I set my target for about 1700 cals and will continue to eat back my exercise cals.

I'm still struggling with the mental issues with this way of eating and losing, and I still worry about gaining back weight by eating more, but I am working on it. I am hoping that my metabolism is resetting itself and I can finally have consistent losses and see the inches finally start to come off again.

I care! Thanks for sharing :)

Yes, the mental battle is without a doubt the toughest one of all. I know, because I honestly think I held out more than most people would have been willing to. But I just refused to starve myself any longer, even if it meant the process took me ten times longer. I'm SO happy that I stuck it out though.

I'm proud of you for fighting those inner voices and sticking it out too. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just be patient, and keep talking to us ;)

Kiki
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Thanks Kiki:)
    I will certainly keep updating as my weeks go on. Im definitely trying to get onboard with eating more. The mental game is harder especially since I don't really feel hungry with what I am eating, normally. So trying to find things to add extra cals, but without neccessarily more bulk, is the hard part:)
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I struggle every day with the mental aspect of eating more. I see all kinds of people around me eating 1200 or less and losing a ton of weight and constantly wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Thankfully I have a very supportive boyfriend who constantly tells me that I just need to be patient and to keep going. I don't notice the changes very much but he tells me that I'm "definitely on the right path". :happy:
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Ugh, I hear you on the fast "losers". I have a GF who is about 40 pounds heavier than me, and we started a BL competition with a bunch of people 11 weeks ago. Ive been highly active, eating good, doing everything "right" and have lost 12 pounds. She eats hardly anything doesnt lift a finger exercise wise, and dropped 32 pounds..
    Bah!! Things like that always make me feel like I got the short end of the stick:)

I know in the long run my loss will likely be sustainable, and Im not certain hers will be. I cant imagine living on the little bit she is eating
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    That is it right there. Why would anyone lose by eating an amount there is no way to maintain. That is why so many people gain the weight and more back. Yes this takes more time but you don't feel deprived, irritable, you don't faint or black out(yes some people have), and this is maintainable for the rest of your life.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Yes, that is definitely true. I have to remind myself that this is for life, and I certainly cannot eat like a bird for the rest of it.
    Still trying to figure out how to eat more though!:)

Anyways, this week I am upping my cals to about 1800 daily, and will eat back my exercise points. So Im upping it about 200ish cals more than these last two weeks.
    I am hoping I have broken through the metabolism problems and won't see a gain.. and if I do "hopefully" I can remind myself to keep going for another week.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Well Week #3 weigh in and I am up 2.2 pounds.. basically Im up what I had lost last week. AF had just left and I have never had bloat this high once she was gone, so I know it cant be all her fault.

So for those keeping track..

Week 1 - up 1.4ish 1500+ cals
    Week 2 down 2.4 1500+ cals
    Week 3 up 2.2 1800+ cals

Thats my minimum. I eat back most or all of my exercise cals. At 1810 Im at BMR so I know Im still not eating where I should be and am still building up there.

Frustrated definitely hits home right now..My weight loss chart reads like a bunch of mountains.. up down up down.. Bah!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    LOL. So does mine. I retain TONS of water during TOM. I took a pic and put it in my profile the other day of how crazy my bloat is. It's almost over and I'm still up like 3 or 4 lbs on the scale. I also had sodium/carb mania during that time, so I know it's all good, because eating was consistent other than that, so I know it's not "true" gain... Tons of water and diuretics (green tea/coffee) for me today, I really need to button my pants soon =p

But fluctuation is to be expected at every cal increase. It's part of the adjustment process ;) Nice going on the gradual increase.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Well Week #3 weigh in and I am up 2.2 pounds.. basically Im up what I had lost last week. AF had just left and I have never had bloat this high once she was gone, so I know it cant be all her fault.

So for those keeping track..

Week 1 - up 1.4ish 1500+ cals
    Week 2 down 2.4 1500+ cals
    Week 3 up 2.2 1800+ cals

Thats my minimum. I eat back most or all of my exercise cals. At 1810 Im at BMR so I know Im still not eating where I should be and am still building up there.

Frustrated definitely hits home right now..My weight loss chart reads like a bunch of mountains.. up down up down.. Bah!!

Hey lady, be encouraged though it is frustrating seeing the numbers fluctuate, know that internally your body is thanking you for fueling it, for giving it the precious nutrients it needs to do its job. I hope you took a moment to read the article on what to expect when upping your calories, that will help you.

I think your numbers look absolutely great because sometimes people don't see a lose at all the first 4 wks because the body is adjusting. Your 2.2 is due to water and that is not a bad gain for TOM. Mine shoots me up 5lbs at least...and poor Kiki shot up I think she said 10lbs...wouldn't you just fall out over that one:-)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Lucia, I did read the article, and I think that's why I'm still sticking with it. I know the last time I tried increasing my points (weight watchers based) and had a gain, I immediately backtracked an lessened them again. So this time I was sort of prepared for the gains, but it still frustrates me badly!!:)

This is going into week four, so Im hoping things will start to drop from here on out. Its been challenging to eat more, and eat the right things as well. But I know this is what I need to do and eventually I will be rewarded.

Thanks for the support:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    really having a bad day. Im frustrated, angry, upset and still not seeing any results..

My WI isnt until Wed morning, but I peeked this morning and I am still seeing a gain on the scale. Im eating no less than 1810(BMR) and eating my exercise cals so Im eating around 2000-2200 most days. Im almost right at 4 weeks into eating more and Im hitting the wall with frustration..

I know this is going to take a bit to adjust still, and I know the gains are normal and come with the territory, but Im really, really struggling with it today. I feel like a complete failure, being able to exercise what I am doing, eating "right" and still not having any losses.. It is just really sucking to put all of this effort into it and not seeing any difference. To top it off I have a lot of outside "help" from friends and family and such who love to tell me their 5 cents of information as to why Im not losing.. this week alone I have heard:

"You are eating too much"
    "You shouldnt be running"
    "You dont drink enough water"
    "You consume way too much fruit"
    "You shoudnt eat a pudding cup. Thats not even real food"
    "Don't eat after 8pm"
    "Don't have any sauces/dips"

ARGH!!!!
    Please, just someone tell me I am doing things right. Please tell me this isnt for naught. This is such a different way of thinking and understanding food and how the body works, but its still KILLING me not to see a single result... I just need soem huge encouragement today before I eat my way through the Easter Candy and really screw up my week...

Sigh..
    /vent over
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you that you will lose with this method, because i agree its a whole new way of doing things for us :)
    I still have my scales put away so that if i am gaining i don't get tempted to start eating less again! LOL
    However what i can tell you is that feeling better and stronger is a sure sign we are heading in the right direction :)
    From what i can gather its been 3 weeks since you have started? So give it another 2 weeks or so before you start to despair too much, besides you are pretty much where you were when you started with your weight, so you can alway go back to eating less if thats what you decide to do when you reach the 6 week mark and if you aren't happy where you are at :)

After all if ultimately this is for good health, and you are mostly eating good food, then it just has to be the right thing!!

As for all those armchair experts quick to offer their opinions! as hard as it is, you really have to ignore them!
    or be as blunt back and tell them their opinion is uncalled for an unwanted! I mean heck if they can be so damn rude, then why do you have to be nice and meek in return? I am not saying go and blast them LOL but just tell them matter of factly to mind their own business!

You know what? I am kind of at goal, i need to firm up and get rid of my belly fat. I get just as upset at the comments about
    stop losing weight! you are fading away! there is nothing of you!!
    Even when i pull my belly out in despair to show them what i mean by my belly fat, they still carry on, oh you will never lose that, its the type of body you have, pffft thats not fat, want me to show you fat?

So then i still try and explain that i know i am not fat, i acknowledge i have lost a heap of weight, i am just saying that i am not where i want to be. But nope they still carry on!!

So now i just respond to those comments with a thank you, no i am not trying to lose more weight, just working on maintaining it!
    That shuts them up!!

But honestly the more you let them carry on the more they will and then that makes it harder to ignore them and it starts to mess with your head :( People will always be humans and try and fix others, know it all, or try and bring others down.

So you need to find a way to stop them in their tracks.

Good luck! you KNOW deep down you are doing the right thing, otherwise you wouldn't even be trying this :)

We ALL have bad days with our weight / bodies! i bet even Kiki and Lucia have them ... or used to :)

I look forward to hearing about your success in the future while still eating more :wink:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Raynn1, I truly do understand your frustration because I too have been right where you are and every once in a while I want that scale to move more, but then I think...could I ever really go back to eating so few calories....then I remember how it didn't work for me and how agitated and unhappy I was being on the restrictive diet. I remember days where I just couldn't muster up the strength to even go to the grocery store...I was tired too much of the time.

I tell you the scale is somewhat of a demotivating factor especially when you just expect an immediate trend down. BUT, I will tell you eating healthy at a good maintainable amount if you are not truly gaining over the 4wks period...that means your body is using the food.

Some things to think about is how you are trending. At the four week mark, think about if there were points you hit new lows...there are just so many factors such as the type of foods you are eating and if they are the types that will help you to retain water, sodium, tom, lift sessions...those things will cause water retention. I literally have to hold off and wait to weigh until all those things are not an issue to get a true weight. Normally when I do that, I do have a net loss.

On one of the other topics there is a link to a graph to track your daily weigh ins. I think that would be helpful to you and I will get that link in a bit. But it will let you see how you are trending.

Another thing is, have you measured lately? If you are experiencing inches lost then that is fat that is now gone forever...that is key.

I am literally 10lbs higher than my lowest weight, but almost the size of my lowest weight due to strength training. I may not see the scale go down any further, but if I continue to see inches go and "SEE" a leaner me in the mirror then really does it matter what the scale says?

I hope you stay the course...eating below BMR is never the answer and is more damaging over the long haul.