Lack of Stretching/Warm-up in BR!

Options
Does anyone else think that Jillian does not do adequate stretching/warm-ups? I do body revolution in the morning and feel that I am not very stretched when she starts the workouts. I guess I am used to the P90X program warm-up because he would stretch us for at least 5 minutes, sometimes more, before starting the workouts. I think it is very important to be fully stretched before working out to prevent injuries!! I think I am going to start doing my own warm-ups before I start her DVD's. Any thoughts?

Replies

• theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't have as much of a problem with the warm up as I do the cool down. I just finished Workout 6 and the cooldown was over in about 60 seconds... I think we should modify both warm up and cool down to fit out personal needs. :)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I just posted about this the other day... both warm-up and cool-down/stretch are completely inadequate. I also wish she would have included a stretching DVD to use on rest days (as p90x does).

Oh well... as Tim Gunn says.. "Make it work."
  • samsara700700
    Options
    Warming up is important. You need to get the blood flowing to the muscles. Stretching is way more important after the workout. You should never stretch a cold muscle, that is when you will hurt yourself. You should also hold the stretch for at least 10 seconds. I majored in Exercise Science. Always loved the exercising, but loved to eat too!
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Warming up is important. You need to get the blood flowing to the muscles. Stretching is way more important after the workout. You should never stretch a cold muscle, that is when you will hurt yourself. You should also hold the stretch for at least 10 seconds. I majored in Exercise Science. Always loved the exercising, but loved to eat too!

I have to agree with you. I did the P90 set and always felt very strange "stretching" before moving a bit. Jillian takes the approach of the "active stretch" for workout 1 and 2. I agree that the cooldown, particularly with Cardio 1 is lacking. When I do Cardio 1, I do about 2-3 minutes of lighter movements to cooldown and then "rewind" back to the stretch time. I do light boxing moves for that time until my heart rate comes down a bit after that last set of suicides.

I think if you want more warm-up time, warm up for a couple of minutes before starting (jogging in place, jumping jacks, knee ups) and then get started. It can't be bad!