How many grams of protein and carbs should I be aiming for e

hdresner
hdresner Posts: 3 Member
One of our members asked this question and I thought it was an excellent one, so I'll post my answer here:

You need at least 80 grams of protein total.

As far as carbs, that's variable.

When exercising, you definately need at least 40 grams, with 20 grams being 30 minutes prior to exercise and 20 grams immediately following exercising.

An easy way to remember is the 20/20 rule. 20 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs 30 minutes prior to exercise (to give you the proper energy and muscle build you need for the work out) and 20 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs immediately after exercise (to replace and rebuild ~ you will burn this off quickly because your metabolism stays in high gear 30 min-2 hours after exercise depending on how vigourous). Some of my favorite pre and post work out meals are greek yogurt, protein shakes, high protein granola, and eggs and oatmeal, etc.

And then, just be sure to get 40 additional grams of protein elsewhere through out the day.

Personally, I usually allow myself carbs only before and after my workouts, but for other meals, I generally eat very high protein, low carb. So, another words, getting to eat carbs is my reward for getting to the gym!

Hope this helps!:happy: