Advice on Weight Lifting (any BodyPumpers out there?)

Options
lisasdoinit
lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
Hi,

So I started eating more 3 weeks ago. After week 2 I put my scale away as the gains were freaking me out (even though i knew it was coming).

I'm seeing a lot about weight lifting and "lifting heavy"..and with 100 lbs to lose i think hauling my *kitten* out of a push up into a jumping jack qualifies;)

However, I do attend a Goodlife Fitness aka LesMills Body Pump class 2-3 times a week. If you are not familiar with the class you are using a bar to do squats, lunges, biceps, triceps, "clean and presses" etc. It's about 50 minutes of intense non stop weight lifting, 5 minutes of ab work and 5 of stretching.

Right now my weights range from 3.5 kg on each side of the bar to 5kg depending on the move.

So...FINALLY the questions..
1. does that qualify as "lifting heavy"?
2. if it's NOT "lifting heavy" it IS ok to eat more and not be "lifting heavy" right?

please say right LOL!!

thanks!

Replies

• cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am no expert (there's my disclaimer, so don't yell at me MFPers), but body pump is frequent intervals of high reps and low(er) weights. I do not believe body pump is considered heavy lifting...I consider Body Pump more of Circuit Training...which is a kick *kitten* workout as well.

I am not knowledgeable enough to talk to you about the caloric intake. I'm still learning a lot myself.
  • lisasdoinit
    Options
    thanks for "weighing in" (hehehe i slay me)..:)
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually, I respectfully disagree :) I do Pump about 2x a week as well and it can be an intense weight class if YOU are willing to increase your weight. You should be gasping at the end of each set (because the choreography makes it a cardio workout as well). If your heart rate is not up from the squats and clean & presses, then you are not lifting enough. You should increase every 6 weeks.

I also do intervals/weights independent of the gym to incorporate a different workout with weights.

Just my thoughts....:)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the Body Pump classes, but I do ChaLean Xtreme (from the lady who made TurboJam and TurboFire). In it, she says that, lifting heavy means that you will get to failure in about 8-12 reps. In other words, your body can physically not do another rep by the end of the set or 8-12 reps. If you are able to do so, she says you need to go up to a heavier weight.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I've been regularly attending BodyPump classes for 12 years now and I do take heavy weights however I would not call it lifting heavy, it's a great class but it's more in the way of muscle endurance, making it slightly aerobic rather than than heavy lifting if that makes sense? I have only just started lifting in the gym and find that my experience in BP is helpful and gives me a bit of confidence when standing in amongst the burly blokes in the weight area.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I started the toning process in body pump. It is more of a cardio workout than heavy lifting. A great workout though. Heavy lifting is where you can do 6-10 reps per set. Example for me right now my Dead lifts are 120lbs, curls 25lb db, lat pull down 100lbs, tri ext 45lbs, squats 135lbs....I try to go up 5lbs each lift session.

Body pump is a good way to get going in lifting, but the weight room is were you push to do heavier weights.

Also yes you should eat tdee -15% period...net bmr if you have a high burn day.
  • lisasdoinit
    Options
    120lbs??
    holy crap.

and here i was all intimidated by the 22lbs i hoist up on my shoulders for squats.

*Gulp*.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions on this. I guess i'm not a heavy lifter ..or a lifter..but I think i'll stick to it as i am in no way ready to go to the Weight Lifting side of the gym yet. Hell, I don't even know where it is!!

Lucia, do you think Body Pump will still help me gain the lean muscle mass I need to make "eating more to weigh less" a success?
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I started the toning process in body pump. It is more of a cardio workout than heavy lifting. A great workout though. Heavy lifting is where you can do 6-10 reps per set. Example for me right now my Dead lifts are 120lbs, curls 25lb db, lat pull down 100lbs, tri ext 45lbs, squats 135lbs....I try to go up 5lbs each lift session.

Body pump is a good way to get going in lifting, but the weight room is were you push to do heavier weights.

Also yes you should eat tdee -15% period...net bmr if you have a high burn day.

WOW 135 pd squats!!! Nice, you are an inspiration...