First marathon - training plan adjustment?

Options
bjbixler
bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
Hello!
In about 5 weeks I'll be running my first marathon, and I've been following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan, found ehre: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

The next few weeks long runs are like this:
week 13 - 19m
week 14 - 12m
week 15 - 20m
week 16 - 12m
week 17 - 8m
week 18 - marathon

My question is this... I've been training with a good friend since the beginning, and so far we've managed to run al of our long runs together except one. Well, unfortunately for week 15, the 20 miler, we can't make our schedules coincide and if we leave things like they are we'll be stuck running it solo.

We were thinking of running the 20 miler either early, or later. I think running it during week 16 (on a friday, which is when we have been doing most of our long runs), would probably be best, but that would only leave us a 2 week taper. I've heard some people say that the usual 3 week taper is too long anyway, so I wanted to see what the general consensus on here was, before we make our adjustments. The other part of this is that if we do move our 20 miler to week 16, what should we run week 15? It doesn't make sense to run two 12 milers in a row, so we were debating on 15 or 16 miles, but again, I'm interested to see what others think. We REALLY want to run this last long run together if at all possible.

Any tips/advice appreciated!!!

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i think that you fit it in where and when you can!

i'm no expert- currently training for my first full marathon too. but i have learned that flexibiltiy is the only way i've managed to get through most of my training plan. i work shifts with random days off, so my long runs go on the best days that suit me. i'd keep a reasonably longish run the week before, and do this longest of all long runs on whatever day fits you best.

i'm jealous you have someone to run with! i run solo, and god it gets boring!

i also think that if you're training to finish the run and don't have any times, or you're not pushing things ridiculously hard, then tapering a week later should be fine! you just do what fits!

my longest run is tomorrow- 4 weeks before my full!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - I HATE three week tapers and I always go with two weeks. But, I know that 20 milers don't phase me (unlike 26.2) and I can run them every weekend and not miss a beat with the rest of my training.

Assuming you both recovered well from your 19 milers, then perhaps:

week 15 - 16m +/- a mile or two
    week 16 - 20m
    week 17 - 10m +/- a mile or two
    week 18 - marathon

I'd route it so you have a mile or so of flexibility at the end - if you aren't feeling great, cut it a little short. If you having a magical day, then an extra mile or two at the end won't hurt you. Your training program is just numbers on a page, not some magical formula.