Any WLS patients switched to high calorie & lifting?

Options
Hey all! I just posted another topic about my back issues so sorry to be posting so much..... but I am wondering if ANYONE in this group has had weight loss surgery? I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy close to 2 years ago. It's been a great tool for me but I am ready to start strengthening and dropping the rest of my weight... and I just DON'T think the super low calories are going to get me there!

I am already aiming for 1500 calories per day. I am 28 years old, 5'5" and 210 lbs.... I started at 310 lbs. Post op, you are eating so low in calories because your stomach is teeny tiny. I remember barely taking in 300 cals per say at 300 lbs, and exercising just a little would burn 500-600 calories at that size, so I would net NEGATIVE 200-300 calories for the day. Rapid weight loss? Absolutely. But it may not have been the best in retrospect, given all I am now learning about how low calorie intake slows the metabolism.

My surgeon stressed high protein and 6 meals a day to help with metabolism. But I believe it's finally caught up to me. I know some of you might not know a lot about surgery... but in the circles of people who have had my type of surgery, it is common and accepted (even by the doctors) that your calorie range should be 600-800 calories per day... for life. Some people can up it when they get to maintenance. Others find that they can't and if they go above those calories, they gain.

So far I've been lucky. I've been eating 1200-1500 and losing. I also eat back my exercise calories.... if I can. I try to, I honestly do.

Here's my dilemma. I am almost 2 years post op. My tummy can accommodate around 1 cup of food per sitting, give or take depending on the type of food. I eat 6 times per day (also give or take).

If I start this program NRLFW..... they suggest eating maintenance calories for the first month. I got lost on what comes after that.... but my maintenance calories at 210 lbs and 5'5" are somewhere in the range of 2,100 calories per day.

That means with 6 meals a day, on average, each meal should be around 350 calories. Tougher... but, could be doable.... it's just hard to eat that many calories in 1 cup of food without it being "bad" food. I don't want to eat junk, I want to up the calories in a healthy way.

This is without exercise, too. I often burn 500-600 calories in my workouts and would have to eat all those calories back as well?

Any tips on this? Any other WLS patients manage to do this? Or anyone else with any ideas?

Thanks all!

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
    I don't know anything about WLS, but if you can eat nuts or pb or olive oil, avocado things like that that are high in cals and good fats-those things will easily add up to the cals. you are looking to get from one cup of food at one sitting. Also beans. You also know what is good for you -cals. wise, so you can play around with the amount they say you should be eating in the book. Start with what you are doing now and see how things go-you always can go up or down on cals. Good luck to you!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi, Christie...

I'm had wls (gastric bypass) three years ago...yesterday, as a matter of fact! I am able to eat enough to take in around1800 calories at the moment. I eat three meals and two snacks daily, as well as a protein shake after my workouts. It is doable, if you eat the right foods. I'm 4' 10.5" and weigh 133.

I think you should at least try to eat as close to your maintenance for the first month, but definitely more than 1200 calories. Again, I think finding the right combination of foods is the ticket. Give it a shot!:smile:
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the responses! I really appreciate it!