Deadlifts

Options
Par8hed4life
Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
So today I completed Stage 1, week 3. I made my husband go with me and really teach me deadlifts as I have felt that I just wasn't doing it right. Well, I was doing them half-right. Upon learning to do them correctly, I had to drop my weight almost in half!!!
So here is my question: should I focus this week on my form or try to add more weight?? I am a tad frustrated that I have basically been doing them wrong the last 2 weeks.

Other than that...LOVING this program and I am totally feeling that I am getting stronger and I can see my body getting firmer; I still have about 30-40 lbs to lose, but I feel like I am doing it the right way.

THANKS!!!!

Replies

• laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, what were you doing wrong? And how much weight are you dead-lifting now? I thought you were going to say "upon learning how to do them correctly I increased my weight" ;-).

I think it's definitely more important to worry about form than increasing weight but you may find you can do both.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Form all the way!! Upping the weight without proper form is asking for injury!!

I can understand feeling a "set back" but remember - this is a 6 month program! 2 weeks will not make or break it. Personally, I really feel like Phase 1 is just a "settling in" phase and that the real WORK of the program doesn't start until Phase 2...
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i met with a trainer last week to check my form on a few of the excercises, deadlifts being one of them. what he suggested was using a trap bar instead of the olympic bar. it doesn't take away from the exercise, but it's better if you have no spotter and allows for better form as well.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    My opinion, Par, is to focus on the form. The weight will go up - I promise you, that. But, proper form is the KEY to longevity in this weight-lifting pursuit.

I have focused on form from week 3 in this program. I am not lifting NEARLY the weights that my companions who started at the same time as I did are....however, I am comfortable that I am doing the exercises right (most of the time...I learned something about the body matrix, today, that I was curious about but finally got concrete confirmation on).

I am focusing on lifting heavier every time I lift....but, I'm not going up by 5's and 10's. And, I'm prepared for some days having to move the weight back down....knowing that in a week or two I'll get it back up (and even MORE up!).
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Learn proper form, so you don't hurt yourself when you load up. You have all the time to load up and you will in no time with proper form.

milissep, did the trainer tell you why you need a spotter for deadlifts? And how someone is going to spot you for deadlifts? All you need to do if you can't pull the weight is drop the bar to the floor.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    deninevi - no he didn't get into the need for a spotter, he just mentioned it when he was introducing me to the trap bar. you are right though, i guess you could always just drop the bar.
  • deninevi
    Options
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that article! super helpful!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I need to read these articles again and again and again. I always learn something that can improve my form. And, now that I am getting a bit heavier in my lifts, I always want to be very precious with my back.

Like. This. Article.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wasn't comfortable with my shoes etc, didn't get my feet proper under the bar. the weights in the gym aren't that big and so the bar sits lower and then I read to lift bare feet and I tried that. It's so much better. I have more control and can feel that I really use my legs to push through my heels rather than pull with my upper body. I recommend to try it with the shoes off :happy:
  • Par8hed4life
    Options
    I'm just curious, what were you doing wrong? And how much weight are you dead-lifting now? I thought you were going to say "upon learning how to do them correctly I increased my weight" ;-).

I think it's definitely more important to worry about form than increasing weight but you may find you can do both.

I was doing Roman Deadlifts...I think
  • Par8hed4life
    Options
    Great article. Thank you!
    I have been doing really well and today lifted 105!!!! It felt pretty good!
    I really want to try barefoot, but nervous about taking off my shoes and socks at they gym! HAHA!

I am SO afraid of getting hurt...I have terrible knees and sprained my back a few year ago snowboarding, so form is my main concern. Well, that and losing this FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Question about deadlifting before you hit the 25# (17") plates (95# total):

I guess, first, you do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (Tomorrow is 6th workout of stage 1).

how do you do it? do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on it? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

how do you do this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.
  • duranchick72
    duranchick72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting that deadlift article! I am just finishing up Stage 1. I feel like its not enough, but I have made progress so I continue on. I am not taking a week off before I start Stage 2.
  • deninevi
    Options

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (Tomorrow is 6th workout of stage 1).

how do you do it? do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on it? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

how do you do this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

I did start lifting less than 95# and didn't use anything to " lift" the bar off of the floor. I was trying just to get to the big plates as fast as I can. If your gym has step-I guess 2 of them, you can use that or try to put the pins on the lowest setting and lift from the pins-will not be true deadlift. Or you can just start from the floor and work on getting to the bigger plates. You will be there in no time!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Great article. Thank you!
    I have been doing really well and today lifted 105!!!! It felt pretty good!
    I really want to try barefoot, but nervous about taking off my shoes and socks at they gym! HAHA!

I am SO afraid of getting hurt...I have terrible knees and sprained my back a few year ago snowboarding, so form is my main concern. Well, that and losing this FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should try barefoot or at least with socks-I don't want to be barefoot in my gym, but I do take my shoes off. :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bump
  • newmari12
    newmari12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

thanks.

I had this problem yesterday doing workout B - I used the 45lb Olympic Bar and then had an additional 10lb and 5lb plate on each side (total 75lbs) but because the plates are so small its an extra couple inches to get them to the floor and the movement seems very akward to me and ends up looking like I'm squating to get the bar to the floor like the book suggests. Should I just do a romanian deadlift until I get to the 25lb plates or should I just do what I did yesterday which was pretty much exactly as the book said, sliding the weight back to the floor in what ended up looking like a squat?
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One thing I have heard of is to make "trainer plates" to get the bar the proper distance off the ground. Get a piece of plywood, cut a 17" circle then put a hole in the middle of the "plate" so it will go on the bar. This way the bar is the proper distance off the floor so you don't have to do any funky maneuvers to get it off the ground. You could also invest in 10# or 15# bumper plates. They are fairly inexpensive at the Rogue Fitness website.
  • 4KatieLynn4
    Options
    Bumping to read later!