Special Request from Monica

Options
I asked Lucy's permission to post this here, and after you read, I hope some of you will accept my request.

My Baby (as I refer to her online) has had a very rough time over the last two years. Bullying in our schools is out of hand, and Baby suffered through it in 7th and three quarters of the way into 8th grade. The result was seven hospital stays for suicidal thoughts. After intensive therapy and medication, we finally got her squared away the past October. She's made remarkable progress and is pretty much back to the daughter we had before all the bullying started. However, one of the meds she was on made her gain almost 50 pounds. She’s off that med, but now needs to lose, and I’ve gotten her on MFP to try and help her watch calories, exercise, and do the entire change of lifestyle thing.

If anyone is interested in being a mentor by friend her I think she could really benefit from the love and encouragement we're all exchanging with each other. She won't be part of the Challenge, but I was thinking we could adopt her as a mascot. Perhaps seeing her success will help ours. If anyone's not comfortable friending Baby, that's perfectly fine. I won't think a thing about it. And I'll be monitoring her to make sure she doesn't become a pest, but she's a pretty good cheerleader for others.

So if you're interested message me and I'll provide her ID.

Thanks! Monica

Replies

• meandi09
    meandi09 Posts: 4
    Options
    i would love to be her friend ... im a big girl myself and have little luck losing weigh but im having fun anyway :)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options

So if you're interested message me and I'll provide her ID.

Thanks! Monica

message and friend request sent. Is there a reason she can't be in the challenge? Just asking.
  • Hockeyvamp
    Options
    Sure Monica.... I have one in grade 7 who gets bullied a lot because he is not an athlete like his brothers and he has a learning disability which has stilted his reading abilities. I can always use a cheerleader too.
  • momlina
    momlina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would like to help if she would be interested in an old lady like me.
    Brief history My family history includes depression & bi-polar disease. I have lupus and I sufferered from and beat depression. My daughter and I both have gained weight due to meds. And we both understand the frustration. I went from a 3 to 14 in 4 months. My doctor finally admitted that my meds caused the weight gain. In my case it caused stomache irrratation and I thought the growling meant I was hungry. Now that I know my meds can cause it, I stop and think "Have I had enough to eat?" My daughter's meds caused excessive wieght gain,acne and I caught her SLEEP EATING! She was over 200 lbs. Started a diary, counted her calories, and lost it all.
    The bullying? One daughter was pulled out and homeschooled because I was frustrated when the school constantly ignored it. I could not stand still with their "boys will be boys" attitude. The other went to Caholic school and they had a better policy toward it.
    I'm sure she'd probably like someone her age, but maybe someone who has been there and done that may help.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    FYI -

Each year, more than 13 million students experience some type of bullying in school.

The groundbreaking documentary, Bully, opening in select theaters today, examines the effects of bullying in schools from all perspectives — from the victims, the bullies themselves, the educators and those who stand by silently and watch.

I learned about the transformative nature of the film firsthand during a recent panel discussion that GLSEN Student Ambassadors and I participated in after a screening of Bully in Los Angeles.

Director Lee Hirsch told the story of an educator prominently featured in the film saying that seeing her actions on screen made her realize just how much she didn’t understand about the bullying epidemic and how much needs to be done.

Thanks to this amazing documentary from The Weinstein Company (the producers of Bully) and their recent partnership with GLSEN and other organizations, the level of awareness will continue to rise — bringing greater attention to this serious issue.

If you have the chance, I hope that you’ll be able to see this powerful work and witness its impact firsthand.

The documentary also reminds us of the need for strong legislation at the federal level to help end this epidemic. If you haven’t already done so, please join with GLSEN and sign a letter to congress asking them to take action on this critical issue by supporting the Safe Schools Improvement Act.

http://action.glsen.org/page/m/33ca7269/12a18553/1dd4e1b5/697cac28/2215069759/VEsF/
  • lucy0326
    lucy0326 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got bullied from the time I was in kindergarten all the way through high school. I've always been a big girl, and my weight seem to always be topic of the conversation around some people. It didnt help that I was a emotional eater, but Im getting better now. I would love to friend her if she would like :D