can we take something to help us go the the bathroom??

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
ummm since surgergery I have had one BM, I have had one or two small small super small ones, but I dont feel good in that area and want to. I feel bloated. Can we take a softener or a laxative or whatever? I am emailing my doc today in hopes of a response.

Mary

Replies

• mfisher16508
    Options
    so after I wrote this, I had to go, lol....but now i am going to the store to get some miralax to take daily so that this prob doesnt happen again, I was miserable, and I am also gonna go for a walk.

Oh I am craving soda today, not gonna have one, but that is my craving today, soda.....the last few it has been pizza.
  • hhamilton1203
    hhamilton1203 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I take Fiber Choice. They are chewable and work VERY well. They have sugar free ones that will help with getting you regular. Part of the constipation is the anesthesia, once that gets out of your system fully in a few weeks that should help to. And you arent eating as much or even solid food yet so dont be surprised if you use to go every day or every other day down to every few days and not as much.... Hope this helped :)
  • CaliErica
    Options
    Even a year and 3 months out I have problems going to the bathroom. I take ducolax (sp?) when I have that issue. It seems to be a common thing among friends who have had the band put in place.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Had the same issue! Still have it every week or so. my doc said to first be sure I am drinking 8 cups a day of water. i bought Benefiber which is a powder. I put a few tsp in my water, there is no taste at all! It does help keep you regular, I just need to remember to take it!!
  • jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    My doc told me colace is good because it draws water into the bowels. Haven't had to use it yet though...
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    I started the miralax yesterday, the generic brand, and it worked already. I doubled up yesterday with 2 doses and will resume one dose a day starting today. I also added in benefiber to all my shakes and such starting yesterday.

Thanks ladies
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    most articles on WLS suggest a stool softener first. If you can, hold off on any diaretic, you don't want your new stomach having spasms. Probiotics are also suggested, they helped me. Good luck!
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I take benefiber most days and a colace when things need to move along... that is probably the worst side effect from surgery that I've had.
  • JanicaPeterson
    Options
    I take miralax 2 times a day, as well as Im on a daily stool softener (4 a day) and a stool softener and laxative (2 a day).... I NEVER had troubles with this issue until about 6 months before I ended up having my gall bladder out.... then I was OK for a about 2 weeks after that, and now Im back where I was....

Good luck... and LOTSSSSSSSSSS of water will also help keep things moving along!

Happy Pooping to one and all
  • velbing
    velbing Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Miralax once per day every day
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Just because I hate too much of any one thing, I rotate with one thing daily...chia seeds, Benefiber, or Miralax. Just depends on what's going on...or not!