Weighing myself too much

Options
CruellaClo
CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
Hi guys,
I am almost 3 weeks post Bypass. I am down 21 lbs. I am wondering.... how often do you weigh yourself? I am weighing myself numerous times a day... am I obsessed or is this something others do after surgery?

I am frustrated I have not lost a pound in 4 days. I am taking in less then 550 calories a day and adhering to my post op diet to the letter.

Does anyone have any input for me?

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi, there!

Congrats on your surgery! :drinker:

Regarding the scale, I can tell you that for about the first year, I used to weigh myself daily, several times a day. It can get frustrating when you don't see the scale moving as you expect. My doctor had told me that during those times that plateaus were to allow the liver to "catch up" with the weight loss. I just had to keep telling myself that I didn't gain the weight overnight, so it wasn't going to come off overnight. Don't get too caught up with the numbers on the scale, instead go by how your clothes fit. Sometimes you'll lose inches instead of pounds.

Just keep following your doctor's instructions and you should be fine!
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Stay off the scale!! Trust the process, follow your post op plan and you WILL lose weight.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish, other than discouraging yourself, with such frequent weighing? I used to be a daily weigher; I cannot TELL you how much more pleasant my experience has been since I broke myself of that habit! Now I weigh once a week, on Friday, so that the water weight gain from eating out on Saturday night does not discourage me.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Okay, I probably miss a few days here and there. But mostly every day. It keeps me accountable. Plus, studies show that daily weighers maintain their weight loss better.

The only exception is that there was a two week period in there where daily weighing made me nuts so I had dh hide my scale and just bring it out on Mondays. But after two weeks, I got my head together and now the daily weighing doesn't dictate my mood for the day.
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am very aware this is not the best thing for me. I am hoping that once I go back to work. Next week... it will even out.

Thank you all for your comments.