Protein Supplements

Cerebrus189
Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
I'm curious as to why I would choose a protein shake over eating the protein? Are there benefits/advantages to using protein shakes rather than just eating food with high protein? Are they less time-consuming than preparing food, or perhaps less expensive? More vitamins so there is no need for a daily vitamin? I know my fellow Groks will give me plenty of answers on this matter :)

Replies

• samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    I like the convenience.
  • Cerebrus189
    Convenience is definitely a big deal with meals. That makes sense. I'm trying to understand the many reasons for people to supplement with a good quality protein shake because I'm wondering if I'm missing something in not having them. I love to eat and as such, I stuff my face with protein, fat and the right carbs everyday. There are very few times when I have not been hungry enough to get my 90+ grams of protein in daily, and on those days, I can see why I would want to have a protein shake instead since it provides a way to get to my protein goal. I really am just curious to see why others use protein shakes instead of eating their protein instead. For the record, my question was derived from simply curiosity to see if I should be considering using protein shakes to supplement.
  • Cerebrus189
    Anybody else have input one way or another?
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    I prefer to use real food b/c protein shakes are technically "processed". Personally, food just tastes better...

But, I'm not against adding protein powder to a fruit smoothie. Instead of eating a handful of strawberries, I'd blend them up with some vanilla protein powder and water/ice... but most days I'd rather eat my strawberries with some whipped cream than to blend them up.

My vote is for food...
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    I'm the same way - I get more than enough protein in my daily eating from whole foods.

No matter how you parse it, protein powder supplements are a processed food. One of the main aspects of this lifestyle is avoiding non-whole foods, and when you consider that most protein supplements are made from whey (a byproduct from making cheese), soy protein isolate or some other partial food - I'd just as soon avoid it.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    I try to meet my protein goals with minimally processed foods as much as possible. I supplement with a "cleaner" protein when I need to. Eating 150g of protein per day can be a challenge but I am becoming less and less dependent on my supplements.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking... I want a break... or don't have the time.
    I use protein shakes in the morning when I am tired of eggs. it's EASY. ... and yummy.

It's more of a time crunched thing for me...
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Not sure if there is a topic for this.......

I have a LBM of 205 and I am searching how to increase my Protein intake to match that per gram ( 205lbs - 205g of Protein). I have found ways to get maybe 150g of Protein in a day, but not 205.

I take 2 shakes a day (1.5 scoops) and I eat protein as a snack, at lunch, and at dinner.

Any suggestions?
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Not sure if there is a topic for this.......

I have a LBM of 205 and I am searching how to increase my Protein intake to match that per gram ( 205lbs - 205g of Protein). I have found ways to get maybe 150g of Protein in a day, but not 205.

I take 2 shakes a day (1.5 scoops) and I eat protein as a snack, at lunch, and at dinner.

Any suggestions?

This is not a criticism ... it's curiousity: why is it important to have such a high protein just because a high LBM?
  • jpmerc423
    jpmerc423 Posts: 11 Member
    Whole food is always better. That said, protein powder is just about the only processed food I am taking at this point because I often find it difficult to get the 150g or so of protein needed to preserve muscle mass while metabolizing fat. I am currently doing 16/8 IF (intermittent fasting - all your food in an eight hour window) and under this model, I frankly struggle to get 150g protein even with protein shakes.

The question then becomes, do I really need 150g protein? I don't know for sure, but nearly all of the gurus I trust on the subject recommend a minimum of 1g protein per pound of lean body mass. I would be curious to know if others had successfully retained muscle mass with less.
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member

This is not a criticism ... it's curiousity: why is it important to have such a high protein just because a high LBM?

Yep. That is the only reason. Scared to lose that sacred muscle.
  • Cerebrus189
    I always thought too much protein was bad for the kidneys and that the body would metabolize it much in the same way as it would carbs/glycogen, which for Paleo people isn't bad. I've also read that with protein the range should be anywhere between .5 for sedentary people to 1.0 for athletes who train hard. Everybody else should be in between .7 and .8 depending on how hard and how often one trains. Any more than 1.0 gram of protein per LBM seems excessive.

I actually prefer to eat my protein. I don't like the chalkiness of the chocolate flavor with the Muscle Milk (but I'm willing to try the banana one) but it did taste better with some coconut milk thrown in for good measure. I was actually surprised how it filled me up when I needed it one day when I used a protein shake while on the run to multiple meetings. I can't say I would make it a daily habit, but if I do it, I'd want to pick some of the least processed stuff out there. Anybody have any suggestions?