Stage 1 - New and confused, even at this early stage! Please

Options
roguex_1979
roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
I have been reading stage one over and over in the book, but I can't get my head around it! I know you have to do 16+2 workouts, and doing 3 per week means 6 weeks and you'll be done (or you can add extra at the end), and you have to do ABAB...but within A and within B, there are A B1 B2 C1 C2...and within those, there are workouts 1-8...

Argh! :sad:

I really am confused. Do you choose workouts 1 and 2 OR workouts 3 and 4 OR 5 and 6 OR 7 and 8, and do two sets of each or 1 set of each...I mean, if I look at doing EVERYTHING, I'm going to be at the gym for hours! I could understand if in A (A) you choose ONE of the options and did 1 set of each way), then moved onto A (B1) and chose ONE of the options etc...is this what you are supposed to do?

Can someone PLEASE help me and tell me how to do this? Please please? Day one starts tomorrow.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! Yeah it was very confusing for me as well...I will TRY to explain:

STAGE 1 (6 weeks if you do 3 workouts a week)

Start with Workout A on Day 1

Do each of the 5 exercises for Workout A, in this order:

A (squat) - 2 sets of 15

B1 (push up) - 1 set of 15

B2 (seated row) - 1 set of 15

B1 (push up) - 1 set of 15 (to make TWO sets total)

B2 (seated row) - 1 set of 15 (to make TWO sets total)

C1 (step up) - 1 set of 15

C2 (prone jacknife) - 1 set of 15

C1 (step up) - 1 set of 15 (to make TWO sets total)

C2 (prone jacknife) - 1 set of 15 (to make TWO sets total)

So, basically, exercises with the same letter (B1, B2 and C1, C2) get alternated

Do the same on the next day with the exercises from Workout B

If you need help or better explanation, feel free to add me or message me! :smile:
  • krissypea79
    Options
    He groups them like this:
    because there are 8 total workouts for A and 8 total workouts for B (16 total workouts x 3 a week = 6 weeks)

Workouts 1 & 2 - 2 sets of 15
    Workouts 3 & 4 - 2 sets of 12
    Workouts 5 & 6 - 3 sets of 10
    Workouts 7 & 8 - 3 sets of 8

He groups them together like that because for those workouts, you are doing the same # of sets and reps.
    It gets confusing because he calls them Workouts A & B and Workouts 1, 2, 3, 4....and so on. That's what confused me, too.

You will do Workout 1 of A the first day you go to the gym, then Workout 1 of B the second, then Workout 2 of A, then Workout 2 of B....until you have done 8 workouts of each (16 total).

I have a really great spreadsheet from a member on another site that I could send you, if you like :smile:
  • roguex_1979
    Options
    Oh my god, thank you! I feel really stupid now. That is simple once it's explained! Lol! I was worried I was going to be in the gym for hours!

So it's basically Day 1, A, Workout 1 (for each exercise) x 2 with 60 second recovery time between each set/workout, Day 2, B, Workout 1 etc?

Many thanks for your reply. Really grateful. I can go to the gym now this morning with a plan!

I'd love to see that spreasheet. Going to do one of my own now too!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd really love to see the spreadsheet too.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    You got it, ladies! I will find a way to put it online or if it comes down to it, I can always email it to ya....give me an hour or so! :smile:
  • krissypea79
    Options
    OK here it is! The link is open to anyone, so feel free to share it. I made a lot of modifications, and it is VERY easy to use....enjoy! :smile:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmBawuhJvld5dFBNQnRfMUNtU3F4TXc4YmdpWWQyRnc

*Make sure you do "print preview" before you print, to make sure that everything fits on the page...you *might* have to slide the cells closer together to get it all to fit on the page.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

OK here it is! The link is open to anyone, so feel free to share it. I made a lot of modifications, and it is VERY easy to use....enjoy! :smile:

Krissy, thank you for this!! Now I get it!
  • krissypea79
    Options

Krissy, thank you for this!! Now I get it!

You're welcome!!! I think the confusion comes from they way he lists them in the book "1,2" etc. Not to mention using the word "workout" for multiple things. It confused the heck out of me until I saw this spreadsheet. Also, it confused me because the blank logs that he provides only have Workout 1 - Workout 4...so I was really confused where the number 8 was coming from, haha.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm so glad we have a few smart people around here lol. It really is confusing. But gets clearer the more I read. Thanks!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting those spreadsheets! I was having trouble organizing this in my log.
  • roguex_1979
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!

:smooched:
  • missfayefaye
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • krissypea79
    Options
    You're ALL welcome! Hope they are coming in handy - I know they are for me! :smile:
  • jennileeb1680
    jennileeb1680 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also totally confused :embarassed:
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    These spreadsheets are awesome- thanks krissypea!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    He groups them like this:
    because there are 8 total workouts for A and 8 total workouts for B (16 total workouts x 3 a week = 6 weeks)

Workouts 1 & 2 - 2 sets of 15
    Workouts 3 & 4 - 2 sets of 12
    Workouts 5 & 6 - 3 sets of 10
    Workouts 7 & 8 - 3 sets of 8

He groups them together like that because for those workouts, you are doing the same # of sets and reps.
    It gets confusing because he calls them Workouts A & B and Workouts 1, 2, 3, 4....and so on. That's what confused me, too.

You will do Workout 1 of A the first day you go to the gym, then Workout 1 of B the second, then Workout 2 of A, then Workout 2 of B....until you have done 8 workouts of each (16 total).

I have a really great spreadsheet from a member on another site that I could send you, if you like :smile:

Can you send it to me too?!?!?! Pretty please with protein powder on top? :flowerforyou:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hehehe - sorry. I got excited and didn't read the whole thread... :embarassed:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bahaha I still dont get it and read the whole thing!!

So are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 refering to each time you do workout A?

So monday will be workout A 1, Wednesday will be work out B but still A 1, then Friday will be work out A 2 and the following monday will be workout B 2?
  • krissypea79
    Options
    Bahaha I still dont get it and read the whole thing!!

So are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 refering to each time you do workout A?

So monday will be workout A 1, Wednesday will be work out B but still A 1, then Friday will be work out A 2 and the following monday will be workout B 2?

Day 1 - Workout A/Workout #1
    Day 2 - Workout B/Workout #1
    Day 3 - Workout A/Workout #2
    Day 4 - Workout B/Workout #2
    Day 5 - Workout A/Workout #3
    Day 6 - Workout A/Workout #4
    Day 7 - Workout B/Workout #4
    and so on until you've done 8 of EACH. 8 of Workout A, 8 of Workout B. So, if you do 3x a week, it'll take you 6 weeks...that is STAGE 1. So to do the first Stage, you will want to print Stage 1 - Workout A, and Stage 1 - Workout B. That is all. Until you've done 8 of each, plus the additional 2 "AMRAP" workouts, if you choose to do them.

So on the spreadsheet you'll see for Stage 1, Workout 1 - Workout 8. The first time you go, you will fill in the amount of reps/weights you did for Workout #1, Set 1, Set 2. (there's a set 3 because you will do 3 in future workouts)

Does that help??