Carb Loading

Options
FoxyMcDeadlift
FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
Hi all,

I recently read a article on the London Marathon blog about carb loading, in the article, the author suggests you should taper your carbs to 50% for a few days prior to your load, before loading up for three days before the race. I notice a parallel between this, and the old form of carb loading where you exhaust yourself with a huge workout prior to the load.

So i was wondering, will this taper produce any extra benefits? My carbs are always pretty high and you can only store around 600g in glycogen anyway. Should i taper? How do you carb load?

Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You hear a lot about what does & doesnt work for carb loading. I don't really know what to believe

Personally I try and just get a little extra the last few days before a race that needs it. I've also been tinkering with drinking gatorade mixed from the poweder a little on the strong side the night before my long runs. I've been feeling good, but I don't know if its from that or from my training.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree, there is so much info, and conflicting info, that it's enough to make your head spin. The latest on I've heard is that it's not even necessary because once you reduce your miles you are requiring less glycogen and thus theoretically carb-loading by doing nothing but reducing your work load. In the end it just becomes an experiment of one.