yupppp

Hi,
so i just stared Bikram yoga yesterday, and so far so good. Im heavy and not as flexiable, but my teacher is AMAZING and so helpful. She takes time with me and modify my poses if need be. My question is although im in this class to help strengthen my back so i can exercise without being in pain, i wonder if in the process i could lose weight from it. also does anyone have an appx number of calories you can burn in a 60min session? (and yes my heart rate does go up and of course im sweating alot lol):wink: thanks in advance guys

Replies

• Congrats on starting Bikram. I started two years ago and it's changed my life. But hated it in the beginning.

I asked my instructor what to put for calories burned and she said it averages between 600 to 900 per 90 minute session - not 60. If it's "Bikram" it'll be 90 minutes, 26 postures, but you can use that to do the math.

Since I've been doing it a while and am a "hard worker," she told me to use 800. I'm 135 pounds.

Hope this helps. You GO. Bikram is awesome.

Alex
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    I didn't lose weight until I changed my diet. Part of the problem is that I have always worked out and my body was used to holding onto the weight -- your experience (and other people) may be a lot different.

It took a while, but I had to realize that I needed to lose weight if I wanted to achieve a deeper expression of the Bikram poses. The poses also remind me of what I have eaten that day -- especially when I have to grab my heels during the last part of half-moon.

Dedicate yourself to the practice, think about how deeply you want to work it and you will do what you need in order to lose weight. Trust me, you will not want to go back once you finally can breathe and do a compression pose at the same time.
  • orange_tabby
    orange_tabby Posts: 13 Member
    I just signed up to this group. Moksha yoga studio opened up last year and I did not think that I would like it so much. The instructors are amazing as well. They are really helpfule and offer suggestions throughout the class. I am overweight and the more classes that I go to the move flexable I found myself. I was so excited when I was able to grab my food doing the dancers pose. When I was going 4 or 5 times a week I was losing weight and feeling great. I really agree with what alot of people say when they say to dedicate yourself to the practice. After my first class, I got a membership and I love it! I do a 60 minute class and I put down around 400 - 500 calories depending on how hard I work at holding the poses.

Not sure it this helps, just thought I would share my experience. I think Moksha is yoga done in the 36% humidity. I'm not sure if it would be considered Bikram yoga.

Car