My gym doesn't have a squat rack :-/

Options
Rays_Wife
Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
I want to start this program, but my gym doesn't have a squat rack - only a Smith machine which I hear is bad for your knees and joints. What do do?? I can't for the life of me figure out why they have no squat rack. I'll have to ask a trainer.

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I first started we didn't have a squat rack, just a smith . . . i used the smith and it seemed to work just fine.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    My gym doesnt have one either. I've used the Smith machine but I'd much rather do free weights. I've been looking on craigslist to try and find one I get for here at home.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep we bought ours for dirt cheap from a "looking to sell" ad.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input everyone :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've been using the Smith machine for squats and deadlifts. My gym doesn't offer any other choices.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your gym is geared toward cardio and not strength training. You are correct, stay far far away from the Smith machine. Ask the employees if they can suggest something. You just need something that will hold the bar at shoulder level. I would also get free trial passes at other gyms and check out their weight equipment.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    Sounds like your gym is geared toward cardio and not strength training. You are correct, stay far far away from the Smith machine. Ask the employees if they can suggest something. You just need something that will hold the bar at shoulder level. I would also get free trial passes at other gyms and check out their weight equipment.

Actually, no.....it has an equal cardio section to weight section so it's not just geared towards cardio. The weight room is great, the squat cage is the only thing they don't have. They've got a ton of free weights, bars, benches and machines. Lots of cable stuff. Yeah you are right though about asking someone, I actually am going to be meeting with a trainer there soon so hopefully she can suggest something for me.