How should I start?

Options
colie46
colie46 Posts: 27 Member
Hello,

I've spent years feeling fat... but being my ideal healthy weight for my height. So instead of trying to lose weight by cutting calories, I now just want to tone up and build some muscle. But, I ask you how should I start? After a workout of cardio, I already do planks and push ups. What is the best thing I can do for a total body tone? or what do you do? or how did you start? Also should I up my protein to build muscle?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• shealon99
    shealon99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there did anyone respond back. I just took this amazing group fitness class called BodyPUMP. It was great. You should look it up in your area :) Good Luck!!
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    I agree, my sister does body pump as a main staple of her strength work and it's a fabulous toner. Give it a shot for sure.

For my own workout I try to do 40 mins of pilates at least 4 times a week, I still have to bring my body fat percentage down (so I do running as well) but my legs and arms are already looking much more solid. Try blogilates (www.blogilates.com), there's a bunch of beginners videos (beginner section in pop pilates and then the livestrong women workouts also) and it's all free and easy to do at home.

Make sure whatever exercise routine you choose you include work on all parts of your body. I do about 20 mins of total body pilates and then 20 mins concentrating on just my legs, my back or abs Nothing worse than realising your legs look amazing but your arms haven't toned up! I think it makes it harder to focus on one body part when it's a lot weaker than others :)
  • stephotis
    stephotis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coming from my fitness-pro husband.. up your protein but lower the carbs (to fight the fat) like your breads, pastas, etc..
    And start off with strength training (lifting weights). It'll help keep your form in check before going to do your cardio. ;) hope this helps!
  • balance_happy_mum
    balance_happy_mum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    they all have great ideas for you Colie46.

I do Body Pump twice a week and i LOVE it. I have really noticed a difference in the few months i have been doing it. My aim is to tone rather than lose so it works beautifully for me.

Cassey Ho Blogilates is also awesome, she is on instagram and FB. She is so contagiously happy and down to earth:)
    Good luck:)