Need help with %'s. Fat/carbs/protein

Options
marcenepea
marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
I have just figured out my BMR and TDEE and am upping my calories instead of eating the 1200 MFP Recommended. I have been doing alot of reading and keep coming across the percentages. I don't understand how to figure this out. Can someone help with that?

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you mean how to figure out what the numbers would be from the foods you are eating, you can use MFP. Go into the setting of custom goals and enter your new calorie target and then go to the individual goals for protein, carbs and fat and enter the % you want. MFP will then show you the calcs in your food diary.
  • marcenepea
    Options
    If you mean how to figure out what the numbers would be from the foods you are eating, you can use MFP. Go into the setting of custom goals and enter your new calorie target and then go to the individual goals for protein, carbs and fat and enter the % you want. MFP will then show you the calcs in your food diary.

Thanks I was also wondering how to change it or if I could so that helps.

What I'm wondering is it always 40/30/30 or does it vary per person? And if it varies how do I figure out what it should be for me?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Thanks I was also wondering how to change it or if I could so that helps.

What I'm wondering is it always 40/30/30 or does it vary per person? And if it varies how do I figure out what it should be for me?

Most folks are good with a 40/30/30 (forty being carbs). it's a good place to start and where most stay. If you have PCOS, Diabetes or a metabolic disorder then other combos may work better.

I would give the 40/30/30 a try for a while and see how you like it. :)
  • marcenepea
    Options
    Thanks! I will start with this and do some more research. I always thought the MFP protein was really really low.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the book NROLWFW and he recommended those ratios as well as a couple other nutritional sources I have read. It forces you to get the right amount of protein that helps repair and build muscles. Especially when you are into lifting heavy. And we all need carbs and fat too....sometimes especially on low cal diets people think it is wise to strip those two out of the equation and those are vital to our functioning.

But this is about getting a starting point and tweaking as you go along. Find what works best for you. Pay attention to how foods affect your body, the scale, etc. Even the number of calories you eat based on the calculations, you will tweak as you go as well.

The key in all of it is patience...give the process time and as you watch and learn trends, you adjust accordingly. To have a good starting point is key, which is what this...all of this provides...I nice healthy starting point.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im doing 40 protein/ 40 carbs/ 20 fat thats what my dr recommends