Protein Powder & Tracking Body Fat %

Options
DarkAngellEyes
DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
(Not really related to NROLFW, but I love the information and support from this group so I figured I would post here first before putting out on the general forum)

Im looking for some recommendations for a new protein powder. I have been using EAS 100% Whey Protein (Vanilla) for a while now and for 23 grams of protein per scoop (and only 130 calories) I found I could really fit it in almost daily.

The problem is I recently saw that they changed up the formula a bit - now they are advertising this as 26 grams of protein (and 150 calories) per serving... but the new serving size is 2 scoops! I was buying 5lb bags from BJs for about $33 which I thought was a great deal, but with the new serving sizes, its almost like I'm paying the same amount for HALF the protein!

Also - I recently started tracking my Body Fat % with an Accu-measure body fat caliper. Since I have never actually used one of these, I want to make sure I am measuring correctly. I took my first measurement last Wednesday and my second measurement this morning.... According to what I measured, my body fat % dropped by 1.6 % in one week!! Dont get me wrong, I am VERY excited about this, but I cant help but feel like that is a huge drop for one week... Could I be measuring incorrectly?

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Anyone?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I get protein powder from Wal Mart-Body Fortress-love the Cookies and Cream! It has 140 cals, 26g. protein, 2g. sugar per scoop and it's about $15 and the container has 24 servings. I usually use just one scoop a day. They also have a lot of dif. flavors- I have tried vanilla, chocolate-both are good.

I don't know anything about the accu measure calipers. I use Omron digi hand held and the reading is different most of the time-it all depends on how long before you had something to eat or workout or drink. But I think that if you keep checking the same time of the day, the same day of the week and it keeps dropping that that will be good enough.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Body Fortress as well - get mine from Fred Meyer.

I don't know anything about calipers either - but I hear you have to be really careful to measure in the same spot each time. I also have the Omron digital hand held and use it in the mornings right after I get up, same time as when I weigh myself.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :flowerforyou:

I've heard a few recommendations now for the Body Fortress so I think I may give that a shot.

I was sure to measure in the same place with the caliper and at the same time of the morning...Each time I've measure I've done it a few times too just to make sure I was getting an accurate reading (each time varied slightly but eventually I got measurements I thought were correct). Guess I'll have to wait until next week to have a better handle on it!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I also use Body Fortress, strawberry flavored. The vanilla is also good, but not so much a chocolate fan (I don't care for chocolate, in general). I haven't been able to find the Cookies 'n' Cream, though. Sounds yummy!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein from target. It's pretty cheap at $18, 140 calories for 25 grams of protein and the chocolate is tasty
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I use the Target Market Pantry Whey Protein in Vanilla. 1 scoop is 140 calories and 25g of Protein!! And it Tastes AWESOME!! Just don't try to mix it with other food LOL