Foods to avoid

Hello all, I am new to this online site. Have been using my phone app every so often but dedicated myself today to stick to it. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago and trying to get a menu plan, diet in order. I have read so many things that I am not sure what to eat & what not to eat! I love spinach salads and I have ready spinach is ok , and I have read to NOT eat spinach. I am not sure. Dairy ok? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Howdy, Neighbor! I'm in Gwinnett County - close to you!!

Anyway, you can have spinach, just steam it. You can have broccoli, cauliflower, etc. as long as they are steamed. I avoid gluten - found in all sorts of breads, cereals, pastas, etc.. It is known to have adverse effect on Thyroid, but not for everyone. Dairy is usually ok - but my Naturopath wants me to avoid it. So, I use Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, etc. I couldn't lose any weight, so I didn't need cheese anyway! :wink:

The guidance I always give is to eat natural - try to go for fresh/organic fruit and vegetables and lean meats as well as nuts and seeds. Flaxseed is great -it's a healthy fat and provides fiber. Cooking with coconut oil is great too.

Avoid Processed and packaged foods- they just don't have enough nutrition -- and our body needs nutrients. I eat locally farmed meat -- no antibiotics or hormones -- cows, chickens, etc. are LOADED with that stuff and our body cannot deal with it.

I got a tip from my Naturopath today to maintain when I am at goal weight -- he said eat my weight x 10 -- how simple is that!!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey to weight loss!
    Terri
  • Thank you Terri! I have started using flaxseed & coconut oil and hoping that will help lots. What do you do for exercise? I need to look into Gluten free & so many other things. When did you start with a Naturopath?