Deadlifted 95 lbs today

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
Just thought you'd all like to know:-) I did a set of 6. I'm gonna start with 85 next week and see if I can improve. I'm finding it easier to keep my form right, so figured I'd up the weight.
Also-I'm doing half deads on the squat rack(using the safety stop for the "rack". How do I transition to full deads? When I first started, I was rounding my upper back too much doing full deads.

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress. It is always nice to see that.

Get someone to watch you do them and coach you through it when you transition to full deads.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    first , awesome lift. gj getitng into deads.

now going from rack pulls to full deads... i'd say just start practicing. try recording your form and posting it for advice. When i first started i had pretty much the same problem. back rounds. i started just recording my self and i would watch it after the set and try to improve that way.. i also really go into stretching before i went to sleep. really focused on trying to loosen up my hip flexors and hamstrings. did it more for squats but it seemed to help my deads to. Don't really have any amazing advice.. i just fixed it with pretty much brute force and practice ^_^. sorry... i am sure someone will have some amazing advice .

gl and stay strong!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    first , awesome lift. gj getitng into deads.

now going from rack pulls to full deads... i'd say just start practicing. try recording your form and posting it for advice. When i first started i had pretty much the same problem. back rounds. i started just recording my self and i would watch it after the set and try to improve that way.. i also really go into stretching before i went to sleep. really focused on trying to loosen up my hip flexors and hamstrings. did it more for squats but it seemed to help my deads to. Don't really have any amazing advice.. i just fixed it with pretty much brute force and practice ^_^. sorry... i am sure someone will have some amazing advice .

gl and stay strong!

good advice mate. Mobility work like defranco's agile 8 is a good thing to do as a warm up or on rest days.

Concentrate on putting you're shoulder blades in you're back pockets at setup.

But yeah, definitely get someone qualified to take a look.
  • bahacca
    Options
    THanks Taylerr88. I'm covered on the flexibility. Even at 33 years old, my many many years of dancing have been good to my body, so that is not an issue(other than the day I totally neglected to stretch my quads at ALL-that was just stupid on my part!LOL) I'm not sure if they'll allow recording in my gym, but I'll ask. I'll look at more videos online too. I know my lower back is fine, but it is my upper back that is the issue with the full deads.
  • bahacca
    Options
    Chris-I didn't see your response. Shoulders in back pockets. I'll have to try that one. I have trainers at my gym, but I'm not sure if they REALLY know what they are doing. I think I'll ask for a place so I can record my form, like in the back in the corner of the gym.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    shoulder blades. poke em up, and then try and force em down into the pockets!
    That helps keep your upper back tight.
    Remember to take a deep breath on each rep also. deep into your stomach. and hold it there all tight aswell.
    That will set your back right everytime.
    Also another tip is to grip the bar AS HARD AS POSSIBLE. this might seem obvious, but alot of people i've noticed done really grab it until they lift - if that makes sense. When you setup, grip that bar like its already trying to escape. This will tighten you up even more.

Beyond anything we've already covered we'll need to see a video.

And great work on the Progress!!!
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    shoulder blades. poke em up, and then try and force em down into the pockets!
    That helps keep your upper back tight.
    Remember to take a deep breath on each rep also. deep into your stomach. and hold it there all tight aswell.
    That will set your back right everytime.
    Also another tip is to grip the bar AS HARD AS POSSIBLE. this might seem obvious, but alot of people i've noticed done really grab it until they lift - if that makes sense. When you setup, grip that bar like its already trying to escape. This will tighten you up even more.

Beyond anything we've already covered we'll need to see a video.

And great work on the Progress!!!

cant add much more to above ,i found tilting my head back stopped the arching for me . good lift keep it up
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    any progress on this one?? You should be over 110-120 by now yes?