Bench press...

BuffERRN
BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
So I have always been a chesty guy and because of that, my favorite lift is the staple of every gym- the bench press... In January, i was getting in shape to go on vacation and I hit my PR of 310 for 4. I was super jacked because I did it without a shirt or wrist straps. just me. It was a nut buster but was totally awesome!

My question is how do I gain strength while getting the chiseled, square pecs? Incline bench? decline bench? flys? Any pointers would be great!!!!

Thanks all!!!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    the square shape is genetic. it depends on how your muscles are laid out.
    some people will never really have that look.

for the most part stick to the basics, BB bench, DB bench, and inclines.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    I agree that it is genetic. However, you may have it, but need to continue to drop body fat to realize it. Keep doing what your doing with regards to the lifts as well as calorie deficit for the diet.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Making DB bench your primary mass builder *might* give you a bit different look than the barbell did. Flys may help as well.

But I agree that it's genetic for the most part, and that "chiseled" is a matter of dropping bodyfat.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    genetics and low bf... you can try db's .. personally feels like its better building the chest then bb bench press.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    So I have always been a chesty guy and because of that, my favorite lift is the staple of every gym- the bench press... In January, i was getting in shape to go on vacation and I hit my PR of 310 for 4. I was super jacked because I did it without a shirt or wrist straps. just me. It was a nut buster but was totally awesome!

My question is how do I gain strength while getting the chiseled, square pecs? Incline bench? decline bench? flys? Any pointers would be great!!!!

Thanks all!!!

Inclines will build your upper/inner. Declines will give you that sharper edge on the lower pec. DB's imo are the best mass builder to target the chest, as BB requires a decent amount of effort from the delts. A lot of it will come down to form. On the BB, a wider grip will recruit more of your outer pecs and front delts, a closer grip will hit your inner pecs more and recuit more tri's. An underhand drip will hit your inners pretty hard as well.

Overall shape in the end is genetic specific. Getting chiseled is a matter of bf%.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Hmmm I see I see... I will continue doing what I'm doing! Sounds like im on the right track! Thank you all for the pointers, I will keep you updated on the success.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    genetics and low bf... you can try db's .. personally feels like its better building the chest then bb bench press.

fully agree do all your db work before bb ,did it as part of 6 week program gained few inches
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

fully agree do all your db work before bb ,did it as part of 6 week program gained few inches

personally I like it the opposite way.
    bb bench would be the main lift that you go heavy on.
    then do a coule sets of DB or DB incline bench for reps.