Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating Out - How do you manage it?

Cobehale
Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
My husband passed a very important certification at work today, so he came home and wanted to take me out for supper. Nice right??? At first I was a little pissy (on the inside) because that would mean I wouldn't be able to go to the gym, I hadn't planned my calorie intake with a dinner out in mind, and it just threw me all out of whack. I was worried because I am so new to calorie tracking and last week I had bad days and was trying so hard for this week so I drank a huge glass of water before I left. THEN I got some upsetting news just before I left that normally would have sent me right into a binge. But we got to the restaurant, I ordered a glass of water, then a Chicken Greek Salad without dressing and no croutons. I did give in to sharing a dessert with my hubby to celebrate.

I am SO proud of myself for not falling into my normal patterns!

What are some tips you use for eating out?

Replies

• LouisAA1978
    LouisAA1978 Posts: 275
    eating out is hard i try to always make better choices than i use too no matter how small the change as long as its a better choice small choices turn into bigger ones
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 320 Member
    grilled anything is better than FRIED anything, sub a veggie(green beans or steamed broc or something) for a potato side. if going out to mexican SO NO THANK YOU to the chips and salsa. Most places (applebees and such) have a weight watchers or "skinny menu's" order something off there
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Don't order an appitizer.

Only drink one drink and ask for a water as well.

Skip the dessert.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    I always read the menu and check nutritional content before i go somewhere and order anything (even starbucks for a special drink!!) that way I know what I can order and how to order it. best to go in with a plan.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Order your meal and only eat half of it and have them box the other half to take home with you! Or split a meal with your hubby! Drinking water is a must of course! Great Job!!!
  • I try to only go out once a week because each week, I give myself a free day where I can eat what I want. I can conqure most cravings by telling myself that if I can just make it to my free day, I can enjoy this (insert terrible food) without guilt.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 293 Member
    I always read the menu and check nutritional content before i go somewhere and order anything (even starbucks for a special drink!!) that way I know what I can order and how to order it. best to go in with a plan.

This is exactly my plan. Also I know a few meals that I can almost always get - like a grilled chicken or salmon caesar salad without croutons, or if it's mexican - fajitas without the chips/salsa/tortillas - and just easy on the quantities. I often ask for a box right when the meal comes and put half IMMEDIATELY in the box. If it's not on the plate, I won't pick at it even when I'm not hungry anymore. This helps immensely!
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 293 Member
    Order your meal and only eat half of it and have them box the other half to take home with you! Or split a meal with your hubby! Drinking water is a must of course! Great Job!!!

Saw your Texas logo on the ticker. Go Horns! I'm an alum living in Jayhawk territory (sucks right about now).
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    I arm myself with as much info as possible. I use this - http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html - as she has complied nutritional info on a TON of places. Mostly chains but still... There is also an app for smart phones that allows you to take a photo of the food you are eating and it makes an educated guess on the calorie count. More and more places are also posting their info online and we generally go to places that have "guiltless" sections that under 500 calories. Otherwise, just stick to what I know....nothing fried, not too much bread, no creamy sauces, etc...